1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd-Ball Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Sep 27, 2014.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

pscook likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

5. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The angle isn't 90°, which causes the difference in the length of cut in the two cuts. You'll never recover that.

They should've infilled with a piece of decking on that angle, and cut the two sides to it. No one would pick up on that.

rd400racer and The.Johnner like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They were fine until the 5th board. I think they messed up the gap, not the angle and there may well have been a difference in board width..

8. eggfooyoung

My experience has me disagreeing. You can see, ever so slightly, that even the 2nd row starts to run off on the short side, and they just lined up the long sides. Well, until they couldn't.

Even herring bone wouldn't have helped.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

If the gallery isn't 90 degrees, the answer is you don't cut at 45 deg.

That picture is just shoddy workmanship devoid of any critical thought.

My experience of late is: "I did what he asked me to do..."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  10. joec

joec brace yourself

Actually I think it shows a dedication to methodology. Thats a perfectly bisected angle.. And you know there's a rip in there someplace.

My other observation is it's plastic and whoever is using that for decking should have their tools, truck, and licence taken away

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  11. eggfooyoung

You can also see that the cut line doesn't line up with the post, telling me one side of the deck is wider than the other. This shouldve been their solution.

file.jpg

Chris, trussdude, Rico888 and 2 others like this.
  12. joec

joec brace yourself

You should see the lockset I'm putting on the entry doors I just finished building. Passage door. Client didn't want to pay for the entry sets that go from 400 up. Original internal copper slide bolts he didn't like because they didn't match the lockset he bought, so he's using the modern zinc plated slide bolts for the static panel that were put in the doors. Sometimes you just have to give up. And that's exactly why I don't include any hardware other than matching hinges. After trying to convince me the original lockset was a cylinder lock and not a mortis lock I showed him the dutchmaned mortis explaining that chronology leaves a question but I was pretty sure it was a mortis lock. He finally admitted for cost, he was going with a passage cylinder lock. So I'll be boring a hole through this quartered white oak door, in essence wrecking it, because the client is paying me.

Fencer likes this.
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

Sure.. But you can't expect someone who's checked the inside corner with a framing square, or who cut all one side of the planks at 45 before realizing it was 86 degrees, to know too do that.

I can't get past the plastic though.. Honestly..

14. eggfooyoung

The inside corner is probably 90°. You can still get the decking to lay up at a 90° with 44/46° corner cuts. Or 43/47° etc, but you're going to get the run out on your length of cut, like above.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

It probably looks like 90 over 18" and 24". But over 18' and 24'.....

16. joec

joec brace yourself

That's what I was saying....

17. eggfooyoung

Well, redwood isn't what it used to be, nor is it as plentiful. Ipe is a maintenance nightmare, so people steer clear of that. And pressure treated is just shit in the long run. Carpenter's still have to install the composite.

joec likes this.
  18. joec

joec brace yourself

Rigid/ryobi miter saw... That's probably fallen off the truck a half dozen times.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Jatoba.... I've actually done teak ipe and jatoba decks with mahogany hand rails. Then again I also built teak windows and doors for that house. South Boston.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

And cedar/redwood was never good for decking.