1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O/T: '99 Jeep Cherokee transmission

Discussion in 'General' started by 976-FIZR, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Guy at work was experiencing a high-pitched whine when he would press the clutch on his '99 Jeep Cherokee (120k miles +/-). His shop says the throw out bearing is shot. Says they told him $500 to replace the assembly.

He also says to me that they told him that while they are in there, it would make sense to replace the clutch for $200 more. Finally, they say that 9 times out of 10 the person comes back within 6 months because after the service "some piston" goes bad and needs replaced. That's where he lost me. What piston could they be referring to?

Anyway, does any of this sound out of line? Is $700 for a new clutch and throw-out bearing assembly about right? Should he just replace the whole thing (tranny & clutch) w/ a remanu'd unit instead?

2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

probably means the slave cylinder

FWIW....my brother has a 96 Cherokee 4.0 and it has 230,000 miles with the orginial parts still in it

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Usually when you buy a clutch kit it comes with a disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and alignment tool. I would definitely replace all those parts while they are in there. 700 bucks doesn't sound bad with labor. Don't replace the trans unless it's needed.

4. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

9 time out of 10 is BS if he meant the slave cylinder. definitely do a full clutch kit though.

5. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

I had a 89 jeep comanche.Done the same thing.For a very long time.If he's in a money pinch he can wait.Slave cylinder is easy to replace.Had mine so long i put 2 in it.

6. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Is it the 2.5ltr or the 4.0ltr? If its the 2.5 the clutch kit is $180 and 1 person can do it in a couple of hours.

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

This isn't one of those slave cylinders that fits around the input shaft, is it?

If so, I'd definitely replace it now, rather than take a chance it leaks later and you have to do it all again. That way, if it leaks later, it will be under warrantee.

If it is external to the bellhousing, it is easy to replace & can wait until it actually fails.

8. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I think it's outside the tranny.

9. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

It depends on the design. If its around the input shaft, then that would be a hydraulic throwout bearing and you usually have to replace it with the bearing since they are one part. If its just a slave, then it should be outside the bell and easy to swap.

10. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

It doesn't have 120k +/- miles, it has 190k +/- miles, and <ready for this?> he's not sure which motor it has in it. He thinks it's the 6-cyl 4.0L, but he's really not sure. :rolleyes:

It is not an easy fix for him; he's an attorney and doesn't work on his own stuff.

11. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

High pitch whine whenever he puts his foot down? Sounds like it is time for a wife/GF replacement:crackup:

12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

so you brother is really a 16 year old girl driving a car daddy gave to his little princess.

All I know is I would not want him as an attorney.....being able to do the labor/repair is one thing, but attention to detail should be a stronger trait for an attorney.

13. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

The general population knows absolutely jack shit about automobiles.