1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSR50 siezed---help

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by tjkershner, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tjkershner

tjkershner Well-Known Member

I just bought my son an NSR50, and while I was out on the track, he took it out himself and apparently over-revved the engine too much, and the thing siezed up on him.

Will this be fixed with a new top end? I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks!

Travis

2. infinityreplica

infinityreplica Well-Known Member

Well, lets hope he didnt seize the crank journal itself. Lets just hope that you have a top end that got stuck due to incorrect jetting.

Pull it apart, and get a picture of what you see and we can tell you more.

3. 02R6

02R6 The dude abides

Post pictures. Sounds like a top end at the very least. Assuming the bore was stock before the seizure and the damage to the cylinder isn't that bad, instead of replacing the cylinder you can swap to a .25 piston/ring combo from the NS50 and simply have the cylinder bored to match. Details on that after pics.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

On another note, I doubt he overrevved it. Those NSR's are such good reliable low horsepower bikes, they just quit pulling. We have raced a used one for over a year w/o replacing anything.

5. tjkershner

OK, thank you. I will start tonight and have pictures soon.

6. tjkershner

OK, i don't know if photos are necessary...you tell me. The piston is blown to pieces...dime size and smaller pieces are inside the cylinder and i can see some down in the bottom end. Do you want to see some pics?

7. tjkershner

pictures

Here's what's left of the piston. The Crank moves, but the crankshaft doesn't seem to want to move easily...?

Attached Files:

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Time to split the cases and make sure you get all of the pieces out of the bottom end.

9. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

if it were me complete bottom end rebuild.Theres no sense in putting a top end in the bike and then the bigend bearing fails and makes another mess.Think abou it,you're spinning around 10,000 rpm or so and then just suddenly stop!

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Thats what happens when the piston is fatigued from to many running hours. Tdub

11. 02R6

02R6 The dude abides

Definitely time for a top and bottom end. What condition is the cylinder in?

12. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Hey Jordan.
    Does that look a bit funny to you? I don't see any big score marks on the piston....doesn't look like a typical piston seizure to me. I'm inclined to wonder about metal fatigue like Tdub. If we could see the cylinder that might give more clues to what happened.

Another question.....were the piston pin, circlips, and bearing still in place when you removed the cylinder?

13. tjkershner

The cylinder has one nick in it, about 1/2 inches long, above the port, but not all the way to the top. I got all the pieces out of the crank and it turns fine now when i move the back wheel.

14. tjkershner

And yes, all the pins, clips, and bearing were in place. According to the guy i bought this from, it's nearly new, only ran a few times, so I would wonder about metal fatigue...?

15. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

What brand piston is that? OEM, or some aftermarket?

16. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

If you didnt split the cases, I gaurantee you didnt get all the pieces out. Tdub

17. tjkershner

I talked to Team Calamari today, they said to take the engine off the frame, and pour some gas or kerosene in the crank and flush it several times. What do you think?

18. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

If you do that you might.....maybe even probably.....will get all the little pieces out of the case. If it was mine, might and probably isn't enough.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

THe cases need to come apart, most of the time when you lose a piston like that there will be a chunk wedged in the groove in the bottom of the rod. Its easier to do it right the first time than to half ass it then do it right the second time.

It was a piston fatigue problem that could of also been caused by extreme overrevving on downshifts, if that was the case the crank should be replaced also.

20. 02R6

02R6 The dude abides

Definitely, that's why I wanted to see the cylinder.

When you say "now," does that mean it didn't spin freely before?

TCR's recommendation is a good one, they know their minis better than anyone, but I would still split the cases and rebuild. There's something to be said for peace of mind when you're winding the thing out to 12k.