1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not-a-tow-vehicle ideas...

Discussion in 'General' started by pickled egg, Apr 10, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What about a Tacoma?

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

price them out, you will realize, the Colorado, canyons are not that far off in price, from the 1500's. unless you're pressed for space, and need a mid size pick up, buy the full sized, or if mileage isnt a concern, lease one. gm has some PRETTY IMPRESSIVE low payments for 1500's. Ski

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

If you do go the Canyon/Colorado route look for the longer bed...that's been my only regret with my '10 Tacoma.

But, I'd check out MPG rating and see how far apart they are between the midsize and full size trucks in your price range.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch one that has the 3.5L in it. Previous generation 4.0 are solid trucks though.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We've got a 2012 Tundra with 287k on it with no major repairs - spent the first four years of its life in Montana, then two years in Missouri, and the last two in Mississippi. We also have several F-150's knocking on 200k. I'd think your biggest issue in the great white north would be rust, which is already bad on the Rams.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Only driven to church on Sunday's by a little old lady? How are the electronics (are there any)? Does the mixer door still work on the HVAC? IIRC, the 4.7 only had like 10 more HP than the V6, and the automatic transmission was the weakest link.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So he can haul a lot of apples from his his and his date night?

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Something decent for $10K is going to be somewhat tough. As prices of new stuff continues to skyrocket, all the used options maintain value all the better.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

See a lot of the Colorado’s used for delivery vehicles. The older ones are pretty solid vehicles. Don’t have any dealings with the newer stuff yet though.

10. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Or a scissor lift and a few apples. What his or her sexual orientation does not have anything to do with the ability of the vehicle to carry a scissor lift. But since he said he wants a RWD based vehicle that eliminates the Ridgeline so I guess it ends your homophobic commments and mine in regards to the ability of a Ridgeline.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm not 100% opposed to a furrin truck, but I'm partial to good ol' fuck-yeah 'Murrican stuff.

Mostly I'm looking for reliable and wide parts availability, on a truck chassis. Not anything mechanical I can't handle for servicing/repairing, hell, two weeks after I bought my Equinox the heads were off being rebuilt and amazingly the fucker ran after I put it all back together! :D

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Available with a diesel...same shitty Chevy interior quality.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Pacifica

Sent from my smatrfone

cha0s#242 and pickled egg like this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird and masshole like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well outside the budget numbers.

Fucking crazy some of the prices I'm seeing. $32k for a 2008 Chevy Sierra 1500? Fucking thing better give the best road head I've ever had for that kinda scratch!

ducnut likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What about one of those Jeep pickup thingies? Look to be fun, a ton of options, can tow over 7K if you option it right (automatic) and on weekends you can play in the mud and squish squirrels on the trails. Ain't cheap but none of the mid sized or full sized are.

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I never said it was a "truck". I personally think it's more an SUV with a bed and it fits my needs perfectly. BTW, OP never said he wanted a truck either, just that he wanted to tow 3500 pounds. So yeah, reading comprehension and shit. ;)

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This is why I lease mine.
    To buy a used one I'd have a higher monthly payment for
    something with 70k miles on it than the lease payment on
    a new vehicle that won't need any repairs barring an accident.
    I know exactly what it will cost me every month.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I may actually challenge you for the tightest wallet on the beeb.

7k? Sounds like the price I'd like to pay. Or less. ;)

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I buy outright and know my monthly costs are insurance, fuel and amortized repair and maintenance budget.

BigBird likes this.