1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not-a-tow-vehicle ideas...

Discussion in 'General' started by pickled egg, Apr 10, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So the Colorado started to look a bit intriguing to me...

Need something I can haul a 3500# scissor lift with on occasion, that I can comfortably fit the destructive duo of chillins in, that is reliable and safe, and won't make me regret buying it 30 minutes after signing the title.

Anyone have any experience with these things? Are they pretty robust and stout for their size? I've got vans for serious cargo hauling, and there's some downsizing and adjusting going on in my business ventures so capital conservation is also a huge consideration.

Aaaaaaaand, go! With my thanks.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

#Ridgeline

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

#nofuckingway

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This is going to be a business vehicle, not a daily driver. 4WD/AWD with primary RWD with a full frame.

Basically it's a question of is the Colorado/Canyon a complete POS so go ahead and get a 1/2 ton.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

One of my coworkers has one. He's had it several years and its fine for what it is. His main comment seems to be, "There are times I wish it were larger, but then I've never known anyone wish for a smaller truck."

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

No interest in the reconstituted Ranger?

7. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with my diesel Canyon. There is an emissions sensor that has been replaced once under warranty and that is now setting a cel again, but that's been my only issue.

The biggest downside I see vs a 1500 is the cost when the bigger trucks are discounted. But for me, even with the same cost it doesn't make sense to drive a bigger truck around empty 95% of the time and getting worse gas mileage.

Attached Files:

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Thanks Rick. Hoping that the vans can carry the day for serious cargo hauling and the purple pachyderm replacement can be something more practical.

Need to keep my budget ~$10k.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Tesla. It will pay for itself in a few weeks with the gas savings.

scottn, eggfooyoung, brex and 3 others like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nice!

Not gonna pull almost 30mpg from a gasser I'm sure, though.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He wanted something he could occasionally tow a scissor lift with, not something to drive to go apple picking with his husband in.

Yeah, that'll work. He can tow the tesla home with the scissor lift.

bleacht, ChemGuy, cha0s#242 and 5 others like this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know about the earlier years, but the mileage ratings on the 2019 models are not significantly different Canyon vs 1500.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They can share batteries.

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure. Isn't Scissor lyft that new LGBTQ ride sharing platform?

15. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

So, the Ram is dead?

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Get a half ton and call it a day. Those mini-trucks aren't mini anymore, they're not really any cheaper, and both quality and durability seem to suck (dakota, colorado, ranger, frontier, etc).

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I haven't looked, but is there a significant price savings from the Canyon to a 1500? IF so, what do you gain/lose going with either option?

Like previously posted, I'd also like to see the new Ranger in person and it's sticker price for comparisons sake. The photos of it I've seen
    it looks, like the Canyon, to be an attractive little get around.

I'm gonna be sad when my '13 Fusion Hybrid some day breathes it's last. I'd consider one of these medium trucks as a replacement for my
    daily driver. 143,000 miles and still tickin along at 45mpg.

(Only a Rush fan would call a Ridgeline a "truck") LOL

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No, just impractical. Priorities are shifting and as much as I missed having a big diesel pig after my '03 died I can't really justify the need for a truck that size.

That's my suspicion, but hell, can't say I've heard anything positive about the quality and durability of the half tonners either.

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

He says of my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab; 4.7 V-8, manual tranny, 250,000 miles, runs great! Original engine too!

20. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Payload capacity between a Ridgeline and a Colorado are nearly identical.