1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-motorcycle - wheelie bars

Discussion in 'General' started by Remad, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Remad

Remad Well-Known Member

Ok so I'm bored and I'm watching "HIREV tuners" on speed. Why do they have wheelie bars on front wheel drive cars? Is there a rule saying all cars must have wheelie bars to drag race or are they like the air foils that are so popular right now.

Remad

2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

That's funny...I was wondering the same thing too. I've got the new Import Tuner and Super Street mags and it's filled with the FWD drag cars with wheelie bars. The whole down force on a front drive car baffles me though. Maybe the residents car gurus can tell us:confused:

3. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

the wheelie bars are used to keep the front ends planted.no matter front or rear drive the front end rises up under acceleration.in the case of front drive cars the bars are used to keep weight on the front tires.

4. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Okay...I'll buy that. What about the wings? Most are just for looks but....?

5. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

wings in my opinion are 95% for looks,and 5% to keep the cars planted at high speeds.most cars produce plenty of down force on there own.so the wings are fluff.

6. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

That's what I thought. But they do look cool on some cars.

7. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

When used correctly, they do provide a lot of down force on the rear end of the car, mostly for rear wheel drive though, they need it. FWD, is useful too bu tnot as much since the traction is obviously up front. It helps prevent fishtailing since aerodinamics create downforce but mostly in the front.

But like I said, when used correctly, to adjust the height and angle, mostly done inside a windtunnel, which most people won't or can't do anywayz, so at the end they just trust the guy at the counter who says " Yea, this here will make you go fast and look kool and make me rich" :rolleyes:

8. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

Also, have you seen them guys on the street with FWD with really fat tires in the front and damn near bicycle tires in the back?? I think that is hilarious. :Puke:

9. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

The wheelie bars and rear wings are nothing more than bling-bling on FWD street cars. A rear wing puts downforce on the rear end, taking traction away from the front end. I wonder how those cars handle at high speed with the front end being pulled up in the air by the wing?. They sell the rear wings at Pep Boys autopart stores, along with led windshield washer lights,led exhaust tips,flamed fire extinguisher's. Check out the website, it's hilarious Parts for FAST and Furious Wannabe's The Fast and Furious look is pure cheese. When we were at VIR there was a guy in Danville that did that to his Hundai!!! what a joke!