1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOLA 11/23 for First Timer?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by JoeR, Nov 12, 2013.

1. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

Hi everybody. I'm visiting my folks in Baton Rouge for Thanksgiving and figured I'd taka a few extra days off work and hit the WERA NOLA round the weekend before (11/23/13). It would be my first ever race weekend though so I am looking for some info/advice.

First off, is this even a good idea at this point or should I wait until next year?

Background info: 32 Years old currently riding 05 Kawi 636 track/race bike. Started riding sportbikes in 2006. Been wanting to start racing for a couple years now, but life has been throwing me a lot of curve balls lately so I keep putting it off. Been to about a dozen trackdays over the last 5 or so years, but haven't been on any track at all in about 2 years so I would probably be pretty rusty and way out of riding shape (my legs already hurt thinking about it). I've ridden at Barber, Road Atlanta, Tally, and Nashville (RIP), but never been to NOLA.

I wouldn't be able to make the friday trackday, so the first time seeing the track would be with the race school on Saturday I would imagine. I always planned on doing my first race at a track I already knew (and in good riding shape), so I concentrate on school/racing and have less to worry about. Do you think this would be an issue at a track like NOLA, or in general?

I haven't ridden my 636 (except for a loop around the block last weekend) in a couple years. It seems to run good, but I'm a little weary of going forward with all this until I have a chance to give it a good shakedown with at least some "aggressive" riding. Does the schedule allow for dealing with any minor mechanical issues, or should I make sure my bike it absolutley 100% before tackling my first race weekend.

Which brings up another issue, tires. Will I be able to get some tires purchased and intalled Saturday morning before getting on track? I probably won't make it to NOLA until Friday night. I assume there will be a vendor there, but will I have time? Do I need to schedule something like that with them beforehand? I work out of town during the week, so it is unlikely I will have time to find some suitable tires beforehand and get them installed over the weekend while I'm home (anybody got a tire hookup in Knoxville, TN?).

I would also probably need to sign up/register that Saturday morning as well. There is always a chance something will come up with work that will cause me to have to cancel the trip, so I am reluctant to preregister (unless refund is possible???). Is that going to be a problem?

Assuming I do the thing, should I go ahead and put on a race number before making the trip and registering? I don't think the number I'm planning on is very common, what are the chances of it not being allowed?

What is the deal with helmet tech? I have an Arai Corsair V, but I think it may be a little too old. How strict are they on that kind of thing? It's in pretty good condition otherwise. It is going to be an expensive weekend already, I'd rather not have to buy another $700 helmet on top of everything else.

Any other things I need to consider? Part of me is saying just wait until you have more time, are at a track I already know, and are better prepared all around. But that kind of thinking is also the reason I have been putting off racing for so long. So should I just stop worrying so much about being ready and just do it finally?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Joe, most everything initially is based on what makes you happy and comfortable. If you want to give racing a shot, go for it. Especially if you have done a few track days already.

Way too much response to type out. I'll hit a few key things.

Helmet has to be at least 5 years or newer or won't pass tech. No scratches/scrapes through gel-coat.

If you don't have a race license you'll need to take the school first. Find out if there will be one at NOLA and go from there.

Look over the bike real good and make sure everything required is wire tied. No anti-freeze in cooling system. Lower fairing has to be able to contain fluids in the event of a spill/leak.

Don't worry about age. 32 is cake work. I took race school with no track experience at 45.

There will be tire vendors there. Figure out what brand you'd like to start with and learn from talking with people. Personally I'm a Bridgestone fan and Stickboy (B'stone dealer) will hook you up with anything from tires to brakes, stands, warmers etc and he is more than willing to help anyone with info regardless of what tires they run. Not to mention, he's a goofball and fun to point and laugh at.

Registering at track Sat morning is pretty common.

You can put a race number on but you probably won't have it for long. The first weekend the number won't matter much. For what it's worth, Stickboy carries/sells numbers if you'd like to wait and install there.

Don't worry about getting on the track. There are a lot of people there willing to help and point you in the right direction. I will be headed there from Nashville early Friday morning. Not sure what direction you'll be headed down but are welcome to convoy if needed. Also, If you pit somewhere nearby I'll be happy to somewhat sponsor you, show you the ropes and make sure you don't miss anything. Tips, advice, ya know? Will shoot you a PM in a bit with contact info.

Good luck in your decision and let me know if you're needing anything.

3. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

School is listed on the schedule for Sat.
    Go for it and just have fun!

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I say go for it. No time better than now.
    The main thing is having your bike safety wired. It's a pretty good chore, and something that you can't do the morning of the class. How is your gear? There are cheaper choices in helmets, unless you have to be in an Arai Corsair. Good luck.

6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

As for the tires, TTRNO offers mounting and balancing services all weekend on site at Nola Motorsports Park. We keep several tires in stock, Mich Pilot Power, Dunlop Q2, Dunlop GPA211 and Dunlop NTECH slicks. If you want you can setup an appointment; www.ttrno.com.

7. RacerJack

RacerJack Member

Don't mean to threadjack, but this will also be my first time at NOLA and I can't make the track day so I'm doing a little track study and watching videos this week. So I'm not wasting my time, do you guys know which configuration they'll be using? Looks like Hayden, Bostrom, et al were racing the North Long course....

Thanks!
    Jack
    CRA#64E

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the one.

9. dean dufrene

dean dufrene Well-Known Member

track is fairly easy to pick up and very wide so you have room for error at the pace you should be running.
    ask any racer there for help! not many, if any will say no.

and RACE!!!

10. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to try to make it down afterall. Should be getting into NOLA Friday night, staying at a nearby hotel. What are the gate hours? Looks like registrations opens at 7 AM, but I'd like to get in as early as possible to get everything set up. Since I will need to get registered/tires mounted/tech/rider school all done that morning, I'd imagine i'm going to be pressed for time. Any suggestions on how I should best schedule all of this?

Also, anyone know what gearing I need to run at NOLA (600 cc)? I think I have some extra sprockets laying around that I could just bring and change at the track, but I'd rather get it set up right beforehand so I don't have yet another thing to worry about.

As far as tire warmers, should I worry about them for the Rider School, or just wip them out before the actual races? I hear electricity is hard to come by down there, any suggestions there? A new racer friend of mine I just met here on the bbs has offered to lend me his backup generator (very cool by the way) but it would be nice if I can find an outlet just in case.

Thanks again for the help.

11. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Joe R...do I know you? If there is anything I can do to help get you ready or help out with otherwise, please let me know. I'm in the Solway/Hardin Valley area.
    -kurt

12. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

haha, Kurt my man, I was going to call you after work today. This is the Joe R you know. ;)

Been waiting until I was committed to going before mentioning it to you, since the last hundred times I've said something I've ended up backing out. So you heading down with Draik? Would love to see you guys. Looks like the little man had a great year.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not 100% sure on gate hours, thinking til 10pm each night then open at 6am.

On that note - road course stuff will go through the center lane, there will be signs pointing to it too.

14. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Yes, he did. Give me a shout this evening.

15. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

Will do. Btw, I gots to grab me one of those hot new draik championship shirts from you sometime. :up: