1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Dutch round of WSBK thread?

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Apr 21, 2023.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

As dominant as Rea was, he wasn't typically RUNNING away with races for 5 years. He won a lot, but Davies, Guiliano, Sykes etc kept him honest and made for some good racing at certain tracks. But Gagne for instance (except for this weekend ironically enough) is 1.5 seconds ahead by the end of lap 1 and just manages from there - typically doesn't make for exciting racing for the lead. I fear bautista is going that direction, especially at really fast tracks.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I wasn't watching back then, but my understanding is that Rea was even more dominant. Like, they created a rule to where the winner had to start at the back of the next grid and he would still win...type of dominant.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    badmoon692008 and cpettit like this.
  3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Not to veer too far off topic, but while he was dominant in terms of points and winning, he wasn't running away with races with massive margins like we've typically seen in MotoA/AMA. And yes they did the reverse grid thing to try to create more excitement - it was stupid. But more than anything, in the 2015+ era, there was real lack of depth in WSBK. After Biaggi called in quits, Aprilia was able to win another with Guintoli (2014) and could've even continued to win in 2015 with Melandri had they not forced him to GP. Once Aprilia was out, it was really just Ducati with the v2 and kawasaki. Davies and Rea were the only two consistently battling, and Davies sometimes was several tenths per lap slower and just didn't make for super interesting racing. No one else was going to give fight to Rea at the time.

I see that happening again now - Raz seems to have an overall faster pace/package than rea, and can probably challenge bautista. Rea may be able to at certain tracks, but otherwise no one is going to get close enough to touch him (Bautista). Especially once he gets clear air.

4. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

great ride on Saturday for debise!

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We had to ask his personal "engineer" to watch on TV. He worked this weekend with the guy who guided Randy Krumenacher to a championship.

SirCrashAlot and henry_carlson like this.
  6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yeah he was pretty dominant for a while
    upload_2023-4-24_14-29-17.png

7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Any chance Cam B. Could fill in for VDM on occasion? Obviously not when there is a MA conflict, but it seems he would be an easy button. Riding the bike, probably knows the tracks.

8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Not this bullshit again.

grapemustard likes this.
  9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Who do you suggest?

10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Reiterburger. American riders are done after GG for quite a while. We have absolutely nothing in the GP or WSBK pipeline and it's embarrassing. Patriotic disappointment would be an understatement.

11. rwdfun

rwdfun

Mainly because America's best rider, CB6, is OK with making a decent living at home racing MCs.

Unfortunately, I predict he'll become similar to Hayes. Firmly making it clear he is the best America has to offer the world by being the benchmark no one can beat in the MA series for years to come. Thus becoming a road block to others path to international "greatness".

The difference being, I believe, Hayes would've taken the opportunity but was never offered and CB had the offer and chose to return to home soil. No knock on CB

Not diving into my opinions of others but he has become the guy I root for. I just think he's a notch above others in ability and with no inside info, I think he's the most mature, polished and professional racer America has. I would have loved to see him being interviewed in a post race MotoGP Parc Ferme

12. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

he ain’t roadblocking anyone. if you can’t beat him, you don’t deserve to be there anyway.

he gave the moto2 thing a shot. had flashes of brilliance on an underfunded team and now has a pregnant wife and wants to race stateside. no shame in that.

13. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

The selfish fan in me just wants to see him in WSBK on a competitive bike. I think he could've done the business on one of the bikes that Gardner/Aegerter are on.

redtailracing and grapemustard like this.
  14. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

no disagreement there

15. henry_carlson

Just watched race 2.... This series is just about done and dusted. CHRIST.

I think GG has a two year deal. Maybe just maybe Joe R will land a seat in WSBK following moto2. Otherwise its gonna be barren for a bit. Im curious to see if SDK will get another shot with American and if not where he will end up. Maybe takes over for Toni at M4

16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

They are both done. Very sad and disappointing.

17. henry_carlson

rumor is CB6 is going to be offered an opportunity to fill in for VDM at the next few rounds

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A more interesting question is whether an offer would get accepted.

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

It's either him, or Brookes out of BSB. Brookes has been winning on the BMW there, already, this year.

henry_carlson likes this.
  20. henry_carlson

right, his misses has got to be due any minute.