1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitrogen in tires???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JCP636, Feb 9, 2009.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Anyone here use nitrogen in their tires?? Supposedly it doesn't expand with heat like regular air does, so you would set your pressures differently I would imagine... Just wondering cause my buddy has a nitrogen compressor at his work and was gonna put it in his tires. If anybody does use it, how do you handle your PSI at the track???

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I fill my tires with approximately 70% nitrogen.

3. matd

matd This aint no party.

PV=nRT:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

i use helium or nitrous oxide.

5. CommandoRR

CommandoRR Well-Known Member

dont forget the 29 percent oxigen and 1 % argon....

6. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

nitrogen still expands with heat, it just does so consistently since there is no moisture in it like compressed air. I use it since Stough, the Michelin guy at Loudon, fill tires with nitrogen.

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

The water in air is what causes pressure rise, dry nitrogen rises VERY little..

8. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

?

so what's the benefit of doing this ?

9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

makes you d>>>k longer when you go and brag at bike night

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

If you're using dry air nitrogen won't improve anything worth the effort of doing it. If you have some moisture in the air in the tire the pressure rise versus the actual tire temp would be different. But if you set your pressures hot and monitor them hot pressures you would never know any way....

11. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

As far as I'm concerned if the F1 guys think it works, it works...
    BUT "normal" compressed air out of 99.9% of everybody's air compressors has too much water vapor and when that vapor heats up the tire pressure goes WAY up, so unless you are willing to ride on underinflated tires and wait for the pressures to climb to whatever level you need for proper traction, the less water vapor the better.
    Dry nitrogen as opposed to regular nitrogen has almost no water vapor and allows/causes tire pressures to stay as close to optimum as possible.
    Plus it costs lots of money for the gear and you get to look way cool (AND run your airguns off the nitrogen tank too).

12. Motorace

Motorace LRRS Michelin Support

It is a clean gas - no water or contaminants. We have used it for years for track support.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i use CO2. the molecules are larger and the theory is, it won't leak through the tire as soon as other gasses..big whoop tho' cuz if anything leaks out, you're prolly not doing any maintenance.
    BUT, that's not the reason i use it.
    i use it cuz it's not stored in a cylinder with 2000-4000 psi on tap. typical cylinder psi for CO2 is 700-800...inherently safer and prolly cheaper but i don't know, i don't buy N.

14. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

I use nitrogen, I've leased a small bottle of it that lasts me the whole season of racing and street riding. You guys hit it right with the humidity in the air supply causing the pressure rise; it's funny watching guys at the track change their tires slopping many many ounces of soapy water into them and then filling them. Using nitrogen is good just watch how you mount your tires as not induce to much moisture into the assembly. :beer:

15. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I use air...You know....oxygen.....from a dirty old compressor.:up: