1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nissan variable compression ratio engine

Discussion in 'General' started by tl1098, May 10, 2021.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Anyone own one of these?I'm thinking this coupled with a cvt could be a maintenance nightmare.What sayeth the Beeb?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's Nissan sales-speak for "10:1 compression most of the time...varying to 0:1 when broken"

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

As far as I'm concerned Nissan is the "Dodge" of Japanese manufacturers.

'Nuff said.

Rebel635, 418 and 969 like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's an insult to Dodge

~sent from mobile

418, evakat, auminer and 2 others like this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Your thinking Mitsubishi.
    Nissan used to be decent, but now its somewhere just above Mitsubishi in terms of unreliability.

ChemGuy likes this.
  6. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I remember when Datsun made decent cars

backbone and 969 like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’re the only one, then. :moon:

AC1108 likes this.
  8. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

I have one in a 2018 inifiniti qx50. It only has about 26k on it, but hasn't needed anything. The variable compression bit is seemless. You can't feel any changes. The CVT sucks ass. It's pretty fast for what it is, sport mode helps a lot. Mine's leased, so it goes back this fall. Any maintenance issues can be Infiniti's problem then. I won't get another one, but not because of any issues. HTH

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Dad’s Datsun station wagon lasted a half-million miles, we think. The speedometer broke at 300k-something. It was baby blue with round rust spots all over it, like bullet holes. We called it The Junkmobile. It finally died in the late eighties while dad was driving it to work. He walked the remainder to work, called a hauler to junk it and bought a Toyota later that day with all the money he’d saved not buying a new car for fifteen years.

10. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Thanks,a friend of mine is looking to buy one (wife likes) just looking for some input.I advised against,Nissan being the Chrysler of Japan and all.:confused:

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My son and I both had new QX60s with CVTs. His CVT had some issues, mine didn't. The V6 motor is great... not sure if its variable compression or not.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If your CVT isn't broken it is just a matter of time.

418 likes this.
  13. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

Wife is ghinking about the QX60 and would occasionally need to tow a horse (3500 lbs). They rate these at 5000lbs but wondering how the drivetrain holds up? I realize the correct answer is diesel dually, but for conversations sake...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have a life long friend that is a service writer for a Nissan dealership in Jacksonville...60% of the work they do is CVT swaps. He says the number of swaps drops for every new model year so they are getting better but he'd still tell you not to buy one currently.

15. ChemGuy

Nissan and V6's can eat a giant C*^(K.
    -former V6 Xterra Owner

motion likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just got rid of my wife's Versa Note due to constant CVT issues, it's now throwing a CVT Judder code which means $4k for a remanufactured trans swap... no thanks.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Totally different, and gutless, compared to the current VQ series. Its a proven engine and pretty decent. Also not the variable compression we are talking about here.

18. ChemGuy

[​IMG]

Ill never own a Nissan again. I just wish their R&D and HQ was in Fukashima so those bastards would be glowing...worthless as company.

418 likes this.
  19. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

On my second Xterra and never had any issues. They've been bulletproof and fairly easy to work on (mods to suspension, brakes, etc).

Bought a new Titan and love it so far plus it has the 5y/100K warranty. Tried the Tundra and it was a POS compared to the Titan (I do know they're coming out with a new one though).

Pops has a Pathfinder and a it did get the CVT replaced under warranty but otherwise it's been solid. He loves it.

-shrug-

Luck of the draw, I guess.

20. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Can we put you down for cam chain tensioner or trans intercooler? Or one of each?