1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next time you talk to Jesus...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, May 6, 2004.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can you ask him if he would not mind giving me a call? Or even making an appearance. There are a few things I would love to discuss with him. Could he make one exception?

I keep hearing the same thing all the time: you must have faith first before you get to see or hear from Jesus. Why is it with everything else we observe something before knowing it's there but in his case, we must believe he is there before we get to see signs he is? I don't even want to get into proving or disproving his existence. This is all just about trying to understand the logic behind the above reasoning. Inquiring mind wants to know. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll tell him to give you a ring. Can he call collect?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You telling me he has to pay for communications?

4. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

Papa, international calls are pretty expensive, and from his description I doubt homeland security will let him get a passport.

He must live near DC, he's always giving George advice :D

On an aside--definition of faith and belief (not necessarily religious faith)

At the circus you see some guy pushing a wheelbarrow across the high wire without a net. You'll probably believe he's gonna make it to the other side. If you have faith you'll go up there and get in the wheelbarrow. I'm scared of heights and ain't never gonna have THAT much faith

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  5. WeaselBob

yup, the coast of burning bushes was getting prohibitive, and left out talking to Californians during the dry season

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You should see his cell phone bill. I told him to switch to Sprint but he's stuck with Nextel for another 16 months.

But he does have a high speed internet connection.

You could try to just pray, but he doesn't have prayer waiting.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dave, there is a mental hospital missing a patient somewhere :D

Yabob - I like the wheelbarrow definition.

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Believe it or not Papa, I ask him to talk to you every day.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Re: Re: Next time you talk to Jesus...

I do believe you. And I will never thank you enough for it. I just want to know why I have to believe he's going to talk to me before he does.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My joking aside, I found that god has a very good ear for listening.

11. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

You might find this funny, but I talk outloud to God everyday. It's normally when i'm in my car, but I have a conversation with him like he's sitting right there beside me.

Papa, he's gonna get sick of hearing your name from me one day. ;) :

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, he knows how to make it stop. :)

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, turn up the Ramones, Rocket to Russia to drown out Paige.

"There's no stoppin' the cretins from hoppin' You gotta keep it beatin' for all the hoppin ..."

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nextel? Did he get one of those cool Rusty Wallace phones or who?

15. chaplain

chaplain MRO pulpit jockey

Aretha Franklin

I think God RESPECTS you too much to force himself down your throat. He waits to be invited. That's one of the way he shows that he loves us.

Grace is a word that religionists throw around a lot but rarely do they explore its meaning. It means "unmerited favor" In a Christian context it means we sinful beings have been forgiven through Christ and enjoy God's presence in and around our lives whether we recongize it or not. Prayer is the most intimate way we talk to God. Because of that God will not jump in front of you in green florescent dancing clothes and say "I'm here!!!!"
    Instead God says "I'm here if you want to talk, but I respect you enough to leave you alone if you don't. In that way God waits for you to make the first move.

However in Christ, God has ultimately taken the initiative and patiently waits for us to respond.

Theology is full of paradoxes. This is one of them. Trying to understand all of this will make you crazy. This is where faith and belief come in.

(How's that for a long answer to a short question.)

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

On a more serious note, "faith" and "belief" mean, or imply, lacking substantive evidence. If you had the kind of proof of His existance that you seek, you would not need faith.

I have faith in Him and require no proof to continue to thank Him for my life and ask Him to care for others.

(Even you, Papa... ;) )

17. dave333

dave333 traveler

Re: Re: Next time you talk to Jesus...

Papa,

I cannot say I ask Him to touch your life every day, but it is quite often. I am truly excited about what He is going to do in your life. I'm gathering from your request you cannot see Him working in you, for you and through you, but He is faithful. I am eagerly anticipating something miraculous in your life... Rest in Him, trust in Him.

Peace-out my friend...

18. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

I don't talk to Jesus so I'm not sure how much help I can be but...

Have you tried talking to a Rabbi? Jews get angry at God much more than Christians and don't feel guilty about it or justify it with a bunch of "it's just God's will" crap...just read the laments in Psalms. If you've read any of my posts, then you'll know that I ask plenty of questions about religion and so far, I haven't really been able to answer any but I sure come up with alot more questions :)

People have had experiences with God without believing. Look at some conversion experiences. Now the question is...was it real or just memorex? That's something only the experiencees can answer.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  19. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

He is knocking, answer the door

20. WeaselBob

no, that's the Jehovah's Witnesses, the assholes are always waking me up

Last edited: May 7, 2004