1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newest round of gun threads - Shotguns

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 25, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thanks, Speedy. Sounds like a lot of fiddle-fuckin' around to come to the conclusion that it's a never ending search for an HD solution.
    I guess it's the ol' 870...for life! (pun intended)
    Yeah, everyone's just trying to make ends meet. :Poke: :D
    What is it about the Mossberg that has you choosing it over the 870?

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The safety location on the Mossberg is in a better location imo

Wingnut and SpeedyE like this.
  3. fastfreddie

Yeah, I don't know. Seems it could be a can of worms debating the pros-n-cons of the different safety locations.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’ve had 3 different 870s jam on me for no reason.
    500s are also easier to make into a sbs or aow. Love the heavier version in the 590 series.
    870 amazing gun but everyone has to choose. I chose the 500. If you choose the 870 I’ll tell ya you made a great choice.

and whomever asked about the tavor bull pup. Well I liked it. Its weird. But seems well built. Plastic is different than most but seems good quality. It’s just bulky. I liked the twist mags tubes the most.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

It most definitely is.
    I used to replace them on PD guns all the time, the sheet-plate under the thumb-lever would fail.
    I cant remember if I was replacing to same part/design, or upgraded part/design.
    My memory banks want to say Moss upgraded the issue, and fixed it.
    Either way, you cant go wrong w either 500 or 870.
    They make an over-size button for the 870, that helps going from safe to fire more quickly, but it is still not as good as the Mossberg's safety design/position.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

Mine jammed on me once. It caught me off guard and I'm not sure what I did to do it. IIRC, I was reloading and went to cycle one into the pipe. Next thing I knew the action bars seemed get locked up mid-stroke on the closing. The gun may have been inverted at the time but it's a sketchy memory from 15 years ago. I prolly short-stroked it on opening. Never had an issue again or otherwise.

Quicktoy and SpeedyE like this.
  7. fastfreddie

To say I've never had an issue with any of my guns would be a lie, except the P7. That thing has never put a foot wrong. Okay, well, it gets hot. Oh, and the AR10, that thing beats me like a stepchild. :D

8. SpeedyE

You didnt push the shell far enuff up the tube for the catch to engage, when you let go, the shell kicked back and jammed under the floor plate....locking the whole gun up....happens all the time. as u know, short/soft stroking jams them too.

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’m preparing for 3 gun competition. I’m looking at Mossberg 930. I’m not looking to competitive but I’m competing to induce stress (as much as a competition can) and to have some fun. Any thoughts on the 930? What other shotguns are being used in 3 gun that won’t break the bank? I don’t need a Benelli.

10. fastfreddie

That sounds like exactly what happened. Thanks, Speedy.
    When I said I never had an issue with a gun, I meant the gun never had an issue so, as it stands, I stand corrected, my 870 has never had an issue...it's all me. :D

SpeedyE and Quicktoy like this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Stoeger M3K. https://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3k-3-gun-shotgun

They have the same mechanism as the Benelli, but a much lower cost point.
    Quality is still very good. The only hiccup I've found is that mine like hi-brass shells instead of short brass.
    Just took a while to figure out.

You can also upgrade with Benelli parts, should you choose to go that route.
    These guys are in Southern Oregon, and do a lot of Stoeger work.
    https://moaprecisionllc.com/product-category/shotgun-parts-upgrades/stoeger/stoeger-parts/

You can buy from them, have them do upgrade work and then ship you the gun.

speedluvn and Quicktoy like this.
  12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Speedy or others, thoughts on lever or straight pull shotguns? Neither seems ideal to move a big cartridge cleanly, but that's all local regs allow. I think there's some lever release around but doesn't seem intuitive which rubs me the wrong way from a safety perspective.

13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Similar story with mine and like you I couldn’t replicate or figure out why and that was enough to scare me.

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Does anyone have experience with the Keltec? I carried an M-16 for six years and always wanted something shorter when we had MOUT training. I’m used to plastic stocks and grips, but it looks like a lot of the feeder system might be plastic as well.

15. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Thoughts on the Ithica 37?

https://ithacagun.com/product/model-37-featherlight/

I have a very early version left to me when my dad died and it is a great shooter. The shells eject out the bottom making it suitable for right and left hand shooters. It also has a very slick action. Mine is old enough to have the "slam fire " feature which makes for a very fast shooter.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

I've done it too, LOL :D

17. SpeedyE

BEAUTIFUL gun, and I dont even like guns anymore...and I still like that one.
    Excellent design/handling/reliability. That gun should stay in your family as an heirloom.

18. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Interested in this as well. In both feedback about the 930 and also any tips/advice on how to get into 3-gun competitions. I've kinda depleted my gun budget for the year though (thanks to being bored at home in the last weeks lol) so once I get into the competitions I may either just use my pump action 500 and just know I'll probably be the slowest one there or do the heavyweight class as long as there is no long range shooting on the rifle side since I'd have to use iron sights.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Funny I made this argument in the other thread why pump shotguns suck for HD.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ve done some IPSC shooting way back when and my idea then was to have fun while shooting doing a stressful period.
    I was considering a pump action shotgun as well. I also wanna try some skeet shooting. I’m still considering the style of shotgun at the moment.

sbk1198 likes this.