1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newest round of gun threads - Shotguns

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 25, 2020.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Wait a minute! One post is saying no for magazine loaded shotguns and now pump guns are not recommended for home defense. When I first got into guns I subscribed to a magazine or two to learn the language and gun culture. After about a year, the same topics began to appear in those magazines, and they all were based on the author’s opinion. Sometimes I agreed and sometimes I didn’t.
    At the time I had failure to feeds in shotguns as well and semi auto pistols. I usually learned that my jams were operator error or the gun’s preference for another type of round. Since then I would say that I’ve become proficient with any firearm that I own with practice and no longer see issues with them because I’ve learned to use them and understand their preferences for ammo used with them.
    I used to encounter jams when not noticing I was short stroking a pump gun but with practice you understand, learn from the issue and become more proficient. Hopefully!

fastfreddie, SpeedyE and Wingnut like this.
  2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

When this happens on an 870, remove bbl, unlatch both slide mechanisms, remove bolt assembly, remove shell, re-assemble.....quite the process when an intruder is in your house, LOL.
    I would have it pre-loaded before burglars arrive :p

I hate guns now, I have a golf club/driver ......?somewhere? in the house :D
    anyone ever break in here, we are doomed, LOL

I got a couple hi-end mag-fed combat shotguns I have been trying to trade towards a 86 gsxr750 red/black Locally, but no luck so far. I dont even have shells for them, or even one bullet, haha

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Steeltoe and speedluvn like this.
  3. SpeedyE

Pumpguns are rugged, and you load/work them ruggedly.....slam the shells in the tube till they click/lock....push them deeper than they need to go. Rack it w authority. They will never jam.

Steeltoe and Sabre699 like this.
  4. speedluvn

I sold my Mossberg 500 twenty years ago. I regret it everyday. I sold it because I had no suitable, reliable place to shoot it. I’ve used my cousin’s shotgun the last time we went to the range and my muscle memory went to how you described a pump shotgun should be used.
    My question to you is does these forceful actions actions prematurely wear moving parts on shotguns or are they designed for these forceful movements?

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SpeedyE

Good question.
    All quality modern firearms are designed to be beaten/hammered ....good modern metalurgy/heat-treatments.
    I used to watch customers gently work the slide/magazine-insertion/etc on say a glock they were looking at....I'd tell them, that thing is designed to withhold an explosion and slam back/forth.
    If a firearm fails from rough handling/racking/etc....it was gonna fail anyways....

exeptions, revolver, spining and slamming cylinder will do damage, half cock spinning will do damage etc, dry firing 22 can cause damage, etc etc.....but modern combat weapons, they are built to take a beating.

Some guns do have achilles tendons though.....Berretta M9/92F, locking lug failures, have spares on hand. Taurus 1911, (MIM) ejector will shear off, etc. etc. AR15, extractor springs, etc... all these things will eventually fail, but not from handling abuses.
    500/870....no worries. maybe have a spare FP, if you use it a lot.

speedluvn likes this.
  6. speedluvn

Thanks for the info.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wisdom.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. SpeedyE

TY.

When I was into guns, in another life, I bought a P229 for HD/carry/IPSC/IWDP(sp?).
    Did the mods I was going to do to it, before ever firing it. Machined the trigger hoop by 1/2, SRT, machined Fwd cocking serrations, recoil-reducing guide rod, flared the slide release, stippling, etc.
    Not once did I clean that gun, not even a swab down the bbl....i would lock the slide back and spray whatever oil was in reach once in a while. Documented 5K rounds of various types through it, zero malfunctions, never even 'felt' it hesitate. @ 5K, I says this thing is 110% reliable, i stake life on it.
    If a gun is gonna jam/fail becuase it is dirty, I wanna know beforehand, and I would then look for the issue, as it would not be 'stake my life on it reliable', imho.

A reliable gun should be 100% when dirty, imho

Steeltoe likes this.
  9. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Just curious why you hate guns now, but didn't in the past. I've heard of people hating guns and after that getting into it and liking them, even picking up a new hobby, but I haven't heard the other way around until now.

Details on the shotguns you're looking to get rid of?

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I had a first gen SBE and have an M3000. They are not the same design. I haven't had any other Benellis apart, so unless they changed their design, the only similarity is that they are inertia driven. That said, my M3000 has been a great gun and at less than 1/2 the price, its a great choice.

Jedb likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Check out Mark Novak on youtube he did a vid on the Model 12. Crazy thing just hold the trigger and rack it since it has no trigger disconnect.

Title-
    Anvil 081: Winchester Model 12 Conservation

SpeedyE and bpro like this.
  12. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

The older Ithica 37's (like mine) had this feature as well.

SpeedyE and Steeltoe like this.
  13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Similar issue or similar story?
    Now knowing what the issue was, how it was created, never having the issue again and knowing how to avoid it or resolve it, I'm okay with having had it.
    It was operator error half-assedly loading cartridges into the magazine then rackin' the slide mid-load...it no workie no more.
    Don't get me wrong, I was plenty concerned when it happened, not knowing how or why, it's all good now.
    I was able to clear the jam without disassembly but it wasn't a simple racking of the slide. I was pressed for time tho', I didn't want my buddies to see I had a problem with it. :D

Quicktoy and SpeedyE like this.
  14. SpeedyE

Hate is a strong word, and admittedly i used the wrong word.
    I am not an enthusiast anymore, but have no issue w/ others being owners/enthusiasts.
    TY

sbk1198 likes this.