1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newer R1 for a street bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by breakneckPace, Jan 5, 2011.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Hello Beeb,
    I am again in search of your experience and knowledge. Due to recent theft I find myself lacking a street bike these days. Once I get my money from the insurance company (and move to a location with better security for a motorcycle) I'll be shopping for another bike. Right now I've got my eyes on the newer R-1's but I'm wondering if anyone's ever had one for the street? How is it for riding around and the occasional canyon run? Or is the bike geared more for the track and just isn't comfy for the road? What are your experiences/thoughts? TIA

2. OptimizedGSXR

OptimizedGSXR Well-Known Member

When you say street? Are you referring to the causal Saturday ride to a restaurant or the daily driver to work which is 30 miles away.

3. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I wouldn't buy a sportbike for the street, but maybe that's just me. I'd look at the FZ1 before the R1.

4. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Check out the Yamaha Super Tenere. I can't wait till May for mine to arrive. It should be a great all around bike for the street/trails.

5. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

+1 or even the new Ninja 1000. Full on hyperbike is just no fun on the street.

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I have one in street trim. With a few changes makes a good streetbike.

Pros:
    The engine is very linear/smooth. Traction and feel is great even in heavy rains. Corner exit feel and feedback is AMAZING. I've ridden home 50 miles down 285 in 3-5" of rain w/o issue. The ergos and visibility are very good. Mirrors work acceptably. Brakes are really good... progressive, good feel and control. Lights work well and give good visibility at night.

Longest one-day ride I've taken is about 8 or so hours touring Middle/South GA backroads: Perry, Unadilla, Thomaston, Pine Mountain. It was comfortable, even at 6'1" lots of room, weight is off the wrists, back felt good. The cockpit/ergos remind me of the K6 GSX-R.

I can't really tell you anything about "tearing up the canyons" or "gap slayin" with it... I keep it cool on the street...

Cons:
    You NEED to remove the cat if you're going to ride at street speeds. It's a HOT bike by nature, big engine, and the cat sits in a cut out of the swing-arm BEHIND the engine, and thus not getting any airflow. It vents up right into your junk. Ping Rider's Discount for a deal on Akra replacements.

It's a biggish/heavyish bike. It's wide but nimble with a short wheelbase. The tank is fat and kinda slopes upward, so it benefits tremendously from adding a set of Tech-Spec tank pads especially if you add aftermarket rearsets. Once it's moving, it's pretty light and nimble due to the short wheelbase.

The gearing is TALL... the bike benefits from lowering it for street riding. Also, the extreme low end is kind of weird, if you don't give the bike a good bit of gas pulling away, it'll shudder a bit like it wants to stall.

You have all the usual "sportbike-on-the-street" issues... cops stalk you, idiots try to "race challenge" you like they're gonna get the trophy for winning the commute. All the usual self-control issues, it's all to easy to be beyond the legal street speed in first gear....

7. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks trancework, just what I was looking for.
    I'm not planning on doing any crazy canyon tearing or anything (seems pointless when the track is so much better) but the bike still just appeals to me. Good to know about the cat heat as well. It's never fun having the jewels roasting under the Cali sun.

8. theTank

theTank "You're my BOY, Blue!"

One word, MOTARD. cheap on gas, insurance, and cheap to buy. Also, you will embarrass a sportbike in the curves!

9. trancework

trancework It's always now...

10. RFORC1

RFORC1 Well-Known Member