1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie/Future racer

Discussion in 'General' started by RazorF2, Aug 22, 2000.

1. RazorF2

RazorF2 New Member

Hi folks. I've been thinking about testing my nerves and hitting the track for the past couple of years. I've looked into race schools and pondered and procrastinated enough. With Carolina Motorsports Park, and VIR both being within an hour and some change from me, it makes more sense now that ever to suck it up and take the plunge. So here I am, the next backmarker. Hi. I know, I know..."enough with the introductions and life storys what do you want newbie?" Simple, I hope. Where should one start? Taking into consideration my upcoming marrage, and ongoing school tuitions for us both..what would be the best/cheapest (dare I use the term "cheap" when discussing racing) class to go into? Thanks in advance, and I'll try to stay out of your way as you pass me.

2. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

I hope you have wealthy parents or your future wife's parents are wealthy. Getting married and going to school can seriously cramp a racing budget. So can girl friends, attorney's fees, ex-wives, getting rear ended in turn 5 and jumping out of the track, taxes,.......

It's all expensive relative to the disposable income you have. All I can say is keep it stock. Keep it simple.

3. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

The smaller the bike the less expensive and generally the more forgiving. A set of tires can last a few weekends on small bikes where on a big bike only one race at some tracks.
    A simple stock or Superstock bike is best. No aftermarket wheels or high hp bikes wheels bend and high hp breaks things and power does not come on as smoothly as on stock bikes. Personal choice to start if I could do it again (I started on GIXXR750) would be SV650 they make real smooth horespower one set of tires lasts several weekends and can run almost against the 600 class. The FZR 400 is a good bike still very competitive but they are 10 years old and so repairs will be common on that old of a bike. Other choice to start is vintage propbably the least intial layout of money but you need to be a good mechanic.
    MOST important is saftey gear. Buy the absolute best you can. Whatever is left use to buy motorcycle. Top of the line helmets only! buy good fitting leathers custom fit is best but off the rack works for many. BACK PROTECTOR very important many styles to chose from here carbon fiber, kevlar, plastic articulated and plain foam. Boots get something that is comfortable and you can move around well in generally you end up wearing boots and leathers (sort of at least) most of the day.
    Get out there have fun and learn as much as you can from the riders school take notes and remember be smooth to go fast. If you are smooth the lines will come to you more easily and people passing you can anticipate what you are doing. Closing speeds will exceed 30 mph at some tracks while you are learning.

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a cheap way to get onto the track, try vintage racing (not "super vintage" which actually can be as expensive as running a modern bike). There are plenty of bikes out there to be raced for a song and a dance. Rick Breckon, the director for WERA Vintage, has a race ready Honda CB360 for $850. There are no performance parts available for a 360 so it is nothing to win races on but it is stone reliable which will give you all the track time you want without having to worry about engine failure. I ran one last year and finished 8th out of 45 racers at the end of the season and never had to work on the motor when at the track which gave me ample opportunity to walk the pits and learn from other racers. Since you'd be running a bike like this in V1 and V2, you'll always have someone to dice with since these classes are run in the very popular Vintage Races 2 & 3.

The tires on a small to mid-size vintage bike can last almost the entire season and they cost less than $250 a pair.

If you're interested in vintage, drop me an e-mail and I can hook you up!

5. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Based on my experience as a first year racer, the FZR400 is still a good choice. You would be surprised the parts that are still available for it, even go-fast parts. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 in mine, including bike, clutch, tires, chain, new bellypan, jetting and dyno work and stock heads (the old ones were cracked). Short of one flat tire (last weekend at Putnam) I've never had a DNF nor have I had to work on the bike since the season started. (Not including up-keep like changing the oil, etc) Part of the key is to keep it as stock as possible. Mine is very close to stock and was dyno'd at 60hp, plenty to learn on. GS500s are an even cheaper route and are bullet-proof, but a little slower. EX500s are also reasonable, some are pretty quick! SV650s are more expensive but are a good choice.... A big advantage to the LW bikes is tires ($$$$), I'm getting about 3 weekends a set, my buddies on 600s and 750s are at about 1 weekend (some a little more...) but their tires are considerably more expensive. Don't think the little bikes are slow, either... Thad was running his slightly tweaked) FZR400 at 1.18s at Putnam in the Middleweight Solo 20, the winner was running 1.16s! 2 seconds off a very fast 600 (Wayne Barnett)....

Anyhow, don't go cheap on the protective gear! You don't have the buy the most expensive, for example AGV leathers are pretty good at a fraction of the cost of Dianese. There are other threads were this stuff was discussed, look back in the older threads....

Good Luck!

6. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

ya, that cheap route, small cc bike might be a good way to go, but...
    if'n yer a young gun wantin' to be noticed, a 600 is the key to success
    a new smilie :autograph session:

[​IMG]

7. RazorF2

RazorF2 New Member

Yeah...I've heard great things about the FZR400's, but I can get an EX500, or GS way cheaper in my neck of the woods, so I've been leaning that way. I'm not looking to go straight to 600 cc. From what Ive heard, 600 is super competitive...not to mention dollar factor. I don't think someone starting out would have too much fun in one of the more competitive classes. I'd like to start small, work on my riding skill. I'd like to be able to comfortably watch others lines and learn without having to worry about joe squid rocketing by me and looking back at me like *I* did something wrong just for getting on the track. Know what I mean?
    Thanks to everyone so far...you guys are great.

8. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I started out on a bike that I was comfortable with, my streetbike. Believe it or not it was a 92 zx-7, the king of all dinosaurs. But, suprisingly I did well.
    This year after much persuasion, I bought a GSXR 600. MAinly because of the parts availability and the overall success of the bike. It was a good choice I must say because it is a very good bike. I have decent points and even a 2nd place finish at a national (very lucky.)

My advice would be to ride something you can afford to race. By this, don't go and buy brand new because it's too much of a hassle. Buy something that has seen races and is wired. But try to stay below a 600. The C-series is competitive, but at the same time it's fun because their are so moany people. There is always someone to follow.

But #1. Buy good gear. You can never spend too much money on safety. Dainese, Teknic, or if you want custom, go see Barnacle Bill or Syed, your ass will thank you later. Most importantly, have fun!!!

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

What exactly are you trying to say hippie? I should have bought a CR250 instead of a CBR600? [​IMG]

(it probably would have been cheaper, not to mention I would have made the jump!)