1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newb with some questions

Discussion in 'General' started by 600rrpilot, Dec 19, 2003.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Well-Known Member

ok, so next season im going to go to get my license so i can get out there with you guys. which school should i go with. (money is super tight since im rebuilding my totaled 600rr over this winter, still need around 2000 bucks:( ) anyway, i was looking at marrc since theyre pricing seems to be the cheapest. i wouldnt normally go with the "its the cheapest" deal but i have to take exception this time. so is marrc ok? if not what else can you recommend thati wont have to take a loan out for.

whats the best place to buy tires? im probably gonna be running 208gp's (unless you guys have some input on somehting else) but wheres the best place to buy.

how much can i look to spend on a single race? excluding travel, lodging, and food expenses. like just the race and practice and stuff.

how easy is it for a new racer to get support from lets say lockhart and other suppliers? i know ive found a bunch of places that seem to have racer support programs but how easy are they to get into being im new? can you guys recommend any good easy ones to go with that will offer some help.

i dont have many times to work with, but i dont want to have too high expectations, but on pocono north course this summer i was running 1.09s on bridgestone (not by choice :D ) street tires. is that ok, good, slow etc. etc. i know everyone says dont worry about times blah blah but i dont wanna get lapped 5 times my first race. i dont expect to go out and win, just trying to get a view of wherei stand time wise.

i thank you all in advance and look foward to getting my ass kicked by you guys in the coming years. Have a HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAY!!!!

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You should use the search function - you'll find tons of answers to every question you've asked.

It's a good idea to support your trackside vendors, tires included, regardless of what brand you're using. The trackside guys will also mount and balance your tires for free if you buy them at the track, and they will help you with proper pressure for the conditions.

Expense will vary depending on the type of bike you're running and the number of classes you're entering. This topic is discussed a lot here, so again, do a search to find lots of answers.

Most parts suppliers that give racer's discounts require a license as proof of qualification. Some of the guys here like dtalbott and chip@ronayers also give good discounts to WERA guys.

Good advice to not be concerned about lap times when you're new. Have patience, ask questions (after doing some research), and pay attention to the fast guys.

Good luck!

3. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

Cheapest race school will most be WERA's. I think it's around 60-70. You'll have to check the schedule to see when they have them.

Like Frank said, buy tires at the track.

Check here for fees http://www.wera.com/pages/fees.html
    You can run 5 classes with a SS 600. I only run 2.

I've been happy with LP's program. IIRC, you need to send a copy of your race license to sign up, but call and see what they can do.

4. Doublrs

Doublrs Blingracer #2

Take the Wera riders school....its by far the cheapest to get your liscense......

A race weekend will cost you some money......after paying for entry fees, drinks, food, gas, race fees, misc.....you will end up spending around an average of 3-500 a weekend depending on if you buy tires or not.....this doesnt count having a hotel room or anything.....the startup cost is what gets you with buying a trailer, blah blah

The best place to buy tires is at the track on a race day.....its hard to find them much cheaper.....if you want a great place to buy them check out ronayers ....good group of guys and good prices.....

last year was my first year and I improved alot each time I got out there on the track....just take your time and dont get impatient.....you will be very slow at first compared to the regulars and will probably get lapped but dont let it frustrate you......get a lap timer and watch your times go down each time you are out there....

5. 600rrpilot

hey thanks guys,

yea like i said im not really so concerned about times, im just wondering where i stand.

keep to good advice coming, it is greatly appreciated

WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON THE WERA SCHOOL?? cause now considering the price, im very interested!

6. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

The WERA school will teach you rules, flags, stuff like that. Other schools will teach you a little more about racing the bike. If you can't do those, make sure you get some track time in with NESBA or Promotion or somebody. Tires the track are about $200 cheaper per set mounted than dealer, but if you are riding street to make sure you remount your old tires. Race tires (even DOT's) are not good for the street. They grip less cold, not at all in wet, and wear out fast.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I budget $500 per race weekend which seems to hit a nice average. Some are more expensive due to mechanical troubles, crashes, and the S.O. needing some pampering but at the end of the season it all seems to average out to $500. One thing I've learned is not to lowball your budget.

Tires are a matter of preference but I wouldn't base too much on your street riding experience. Race tires are different.

Those before me have given you the skinny on school and support.

Don't worry about lap times. A 600 falls into alot of classes and you should be able to find some bikes with similar performance to race. That's the fun stuff and will push you to improve.

Racers are really nice folks. Introduce yourself, offer assistance when you can, ask questions when appropriate, and just enjoy the experience. You'll be suprised how many friends you make.

8. 600rrpilot

well i say "newb" but ive done a few trackdays so far. i know all about my bike, tires, good form, lines, blah blah the list goes on. i have found that the best thing to do is have a control rider follow me and let me know whatim doing wrong/right. i know all about the flags, signals, etc. so im not "fresh out of the box" lol. im only 19 so ive got plenty of time. im just looking for a quick cheap way to get my license, go hang out at a couple races and see whats up, then enter a few. next year is strictly going to be for tracktime with tpm and nesba and getting my license, i dont plan on entering any races next year, just pratice practice practice. plus, i cant afford it;)

yea i know how freindly everyone is, and i am in return. im always willing to lend a helping hand and advice (i know im only 19 but iknow my shit:p ) when i can. i hope to see you guys out there!

9. Tiggerduc

Tiggerduc BIG OL' DUFFUS

HE REMINDS ME OF ME TWO YEARS AGO

10. 600rrpilot

lol.......yea i figured i must :beer:

11. nov599

nov599 Well-Known Member

Same here except two years ago I was NOT 19. :mad:

Tip I recived as a newbee...BRING CUBIC $$$;)