1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the bike and hopefully the racing scene

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by R6ian, May 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

Hi,
    I'm new to motorcycle riding in general and like everything I do in life I have to be competitive . I have an r6 now and want to get another one for racing . My question is am I being stupid in wanting that to start out with a 600 or is the smarter move to buy a small bike . I don't feel like spending money to get a bike set up to race and then sell it next year to get something bigger and loosing money . Which I understand because I used to race bicycle for years and always lost money when buying and sell race bike. What do you guys think ?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What are your long term goals? If you're looking at being as fast as possible buy smaller and work up. If just looking to have some fun, start with what you're used to and go for it.

3. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

Yes fast as possible, thanks

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then go with a 300 or an SV and learn to go fast on a slow bike. Then add in horsepower later.

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  5. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

Great Thanks for your help

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Also, it is much cheaper to buy an already setup bike, vs building your own. Bodywork, rearsets, front and rear suspension, etc. will cost almost as much as you can buy an already setup SV650 for.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

Thanks for the advice, I have been looking for something already done . I agree it is much cheaper.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

pay for good coaching and instruction. u dont know what you dont know and u arent going to discover it all by yourself very quickly. IMO, this matters more than racing a small bike.

buy a prepped race bike. dont spend the $$ converting your R6 to race duty. you'll be into it for $15-25k when u could have just bought one for $6-7k. other smaller bikes are even cheaper. once u are done w/ them, u can sell them without losing a ton.

9. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

So do you feel that I could get away with buying a 600 track bike if I get a coach ? Because that was my plan . I'm going to do the 2 day Yamaha riding school then get a one on one coach . I appreciate you help thanks

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

no idea. u could have plenty of natural talent and could win a Novice race your first year w/ good coaching. or u could have no hope no matter how hard u work and how much coaching u get. no one knows until u get on track. ask your YCRS coach afterwards.

one thing to consider... if u race 600s (or 1000s), ull likely be racing against the best in your club. itll be the most talented and experience racers along with the most talented tuners and the highest budgets. beating them is tough in all respects. other classes might be less "difficult" to compete in.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

Thanks for your help , maybe I'll just wait till after YCRS to decide what kinda bike to get but it almost sounds like I need to get a 300 first . I've always been the type to just go for it , go big or go home . But it seams like that might not be the case with this sport .

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  12. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Impatience is the enemy of our sport. Take your time, learn and move up as you progress. The bike is really a personal preference and $ limited when you start. You will spend a lot no
    matter how you approach it. Decide what your goals are and go from there as the others said.

stangmx13 and R6ian like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Great that you are you going to take a YCRS class and use a coach. Stangmx is 100% right that will help you.

What is your honest budget? A smaller bike will require less money to be spent on tires. Even in novice, once you figure things out, and can put it on the box, I presume you will need at least 1 set of tires per weekend on a 600 and quite possibly 2 rears.

The smaller bikes can go longer on a set of tires. I would look at your region and see which class has a bunch of riders. Out here, west coast, it seems like there are a lot of 300 class riders, but not many sv650 class riders.

I want a class with a bunch of people for me to compete with. In the beginning you are not only going to want to race, but also hit every track day or coaching day you can afford, because it is so addictive and fun. A slower bike will allow you to afford the tires to do that.

14. Boman Forklift

Also, remember if you buy a good already setup bike with suspension etc., and decide the class you chose is wrong for you, you can probably resell the bike for 500 to 1000 less, so not that big of a deal.

15. R6ian

R6ian Active Member

I mean I'm by no means a ritch person but I found a r6 track bike 40 mins from me all done up that a can afford to buy . As far as tires go it is what it is . I try not to worry bout that as long as I'm having fun . I deff want to race but I'm not gonna beat myself up if I'm can't win for a while I'd be naïve to think that I can . A grind and I are getting into this together we used to race bicycles together and at first we sucked but in a couple years after training we were top 5 in every race we did . Not saying that there by any means the same but I treat everything the same I train hard and learn fast . And I wanna say I am 100 percent thankful for everyone's thoughts and advice