1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New (to me) 1911

Discussion in 'General' started by Chango, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Mt father-in-law passed away last weekend after a year-long battle with pancreatic cancer that eventually spread to his lungs. While we were going through stuff, mom-in-law found something stuck in a sock in his bottom drawer and asked me to come take a look at it. Turns out it was a "premium aged" Remington Rand 1911A1. The serial number makes it a 1945 model, and it also has U.S. Army stamped on the side, so we think he (FIL) got it from a relative who served in the military, but we're just not sure who or when yet.

Anyway, overall it seems to be in pretty good shape, though even I can see some dirt/dust in the barrel. I am planning on taking it to a professional for a proper cleaning before I even look at it cross-eyed for a couple of reasons. First, I don't know anything about the history of this gun. Heck, we didn't even know he had it. Second, we have no idea how long it has been there. Third, if I can see stuff in the barrel then I reckon there is more stuff in the guts.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If anyone wants some pics I will take some when I get back home and have a proper camera.

On the plus side, I have actually seen a couple of boxes of .45 ammo lately. The last time I saw any 9mm (I am on the waiting list for a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm) was before the election...

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I think you just got yourself a nice heirloom.

Dust in the barrel likely came.from the sock you mentioned.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

4. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I got my hands on one and gave it to my dad. Thing still shoots well but one piece of advice. Do not run the higher grain loads, it can be a bit rough on the frame. Other wise, take it out once a year and run a mag thru it. My dad carries his daily, something cool about an old retired county judge running around with an old, well worn Remington Rand 1911.

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss.About the shield ...... If you go to the S&W forum some guys that bought the 40 shield also bought the 9mm barrel and some mags and can run 9mm through their guns. That might be another option .I have a 9mm shield but it was a hard find.

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

They are super easy to break down and service. I wouldn't worry about a gunsmith.

There are plenty of youtube videos on stripping a 1911. Just be careful when you insert the slide stop lever. Line it up right and don't drag it across the frame. You'll scratch your gun (commonly known as the "idiot scratch.")

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Yeah, be extremely careful which "professional" you give it to for disassembly/cleaning.

1) Make sure they understand that it is for light cleaning ONLY....no harsh solvents, no abrasives, no 'touch-up blue', etc....no damage to original finish....it is like when someone has a collectible painting "cleaned", be careful.
    2) Make sure they don't mar the frame when they re-install the slide-stop.
    3) Make sure none of the parts disappear and are replaced w/ look a likes....original GI parts are expensive and collectible. Look-a-like GI parts are a dime a dozen.

The value of that gun is determined by its condition and originality of the parts. And there are such a wide variance of parts that would seemingly look identical, but are different by mfg and dates.
    Those guns are collectible and need to be correct to hold collector value. The gun needs to be seen (photos) by an expert qualified in Military 1911's....NOT a gunsmith/dealer.

I'll pm you a link on where to get the answers to determine if all parts are correct, and the value.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

If you care about its collectible value, be very careful when cleaning it and do not have it refinished.

10. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Best plan is to wipe it down (along with the bore) with some CLP and put it in a gunsafe.

Here's how I took care of my 1911 fix (and the need for 15 rounds).
    Cheapo but runs great, been banging on it for years with no issues..

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      326 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      246.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      253 KB
      Views:
  11. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

It's worthless. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

LOL, I have one of those, I prefer to call it the idito scratch.

David

13. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would you care?

15. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

1911s are fairly simple and I wouldn't trust a dealer with it. Get online and read up then clean and display it. 1911s are a cool piece of machinery.

16. fastfreddie

:stupid: I, however, would be willing to give you money, sight unseen.
    Seriously, don't mess it up. You could really have something there.
    Check your serial number against the link I posted to find out more.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to check mine again, I think one is 1914 and the other 1917.

18. fastfreddie

You have Remmies?

19. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

You inherited a very nice 1911. I would be thrilled by that find.

oh, and sorry for your loss

20. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

That directed at me?