1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New shop

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Apr 15, 2021.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Some inside pics after getting everything situated, fills up quick!
    Shop inside1.jpg Shop inside2.jpg Shop inside3.jpg Shop inside4.jpg

Britt, R1M370, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Okay, after looking at that, I guess I'll stop calling my shop a "shop". Sheesh! A C&C machine! I've got a toolbox... a floor jack... and a drill...

Still, if I *had* a C&C machine, I wouldn't know how to use it, so that is probably for the best.

Truly amazing shop. What kinds of things do you turn out with that C&C?

TLR67, noles19 and BigBird like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Music.

Really makes him sweat. :D

TurboBlew and Dan Dubeau like this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

CNC Computer Numerical Control....:D

Nice shop Glen. Better equipped than some commercial shops I've been in lol. I'm still jealous of all that space.

GRH likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fack...I can't even afford a shed.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Killing it G. Great job.

GRH likes this.
  7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You win

R Acree likes this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Where is my Mike Myers/Dana Carvey "Wayne's World" we're not worthy gif??

HOLY shit!

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Sorry, I occasionally make misakes... :oops: I am aware of the meaning of the acronym, I guess I was carried away with the grandeur of the shop.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Still, C&C music machine would be an "interesting" shop addition as well...

BigBird likes this.
  11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I didn't see it mentioned, but how are you getting your 3 phase? My current shop has a 3ph panel, but the plan is to build a shop next to my house, and I can only get single phase, so had to get a converter. Doing something similar in terms of specs, but am limited on ceiling height due to code in my neighborhood, so stuck with 9'. Would love to have the head room you've got there. For those that aren't aware, radiant heat in the floor is better than sex, and definitely cheaper in the long run.

12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Get someone to design one for you .. :D

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have single phase only, one of the many reasons I got that Haas was that it can run off 3 phase or SF, for the Bridgeport mill I installed a SF to 3 phase VFD which is nice because I was able to program a soft start to not beat up the 55 year old motor. 3 phase from the utility is .5 mile down the road, even if it was out front I'm not sure I would have got it as the rate is 3 times per kwh, I might have different thoughts on the topic if this business takes off more. And you are correct on the radiant heat, love it.

I appreciate everyone else's compliments also.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I had a design before materials tripled in cost.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I thought the TM was 3ph 208/230. Is that a 15hp spindle? Some of my big machines are 480, but I've got some VF-2 that are 208 but still 3ph. Curious why you went with copper for the air lines, given the cost. At my smaller shop, I ran schedule 40 PVC which is rated at 220psi, with my line pressure maxed at 150. Been working fine for years. Yes the 3ph rate per hour is higher, but it's so much more efficient that it more than makes up for it. At least where I'm at. When I move the small shop, the cost of running that converter is going to jack my electric bill to the moon.

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It's a 7.5hp spindle
    In regards to the copper airlines, I stockpiled materials a year in advance of building so 2018-2019, copper pricing during that time wasn't too bad and I wanted to use it to minimize water at the point of use so between the way I pitched it to have it drain back to the compressor and copper's thermal properties it works well. I installed it myself so while being labor intensive it didn't cost anything from that standpoint. I probably have $2500 into the system.

17. motoracer1100

I was pulling on your chain .. Mr. Architect :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Chains are not ADA compliant.

19. motoracer1100

Even if vinyl coated ??

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe:D