1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Racer Question about Racing School and Starter Bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by kione05, Oct 10, 2011.

1. kione05

kione05 Member

Hello:

I plan on starting racing / doing track days next year. I have no experience road racing and currently own a 2009 GS500F. Based on my current bike I could run DSS and V5. Frankly my current bike is not competitive because an EX500 is faster and the cc limits allow faster bikes. This is offset by the fact there is little to no competition in this class.

My longer term goal is to learn the fundamentals and eventually move up to CSS class.

My questions are:
    What is a good school for me to take (I am thinking of Cornerspeed at VIR)?
    My current classes have light participation, should I buy another bike like a SV650 or stick to a season with my current ride?
    What bike and class would you recommend a true novice start with?

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Ride whatever bike gets you on the track sooner.

3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

4. kione05

kione05 Member

Thanks for your responses. I plan on racing at the first event in 2012 at Summit Point or VIR.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No kidding about not much competition, I came in 3rd in the D-SS expert regional championship (NE and Mid-atlantic) and only ran 1 round at Summit.

Stick with what you have for a while, the GS is a good machine. If you get terribly bored you could try running the GS in LWT. :D

No idea about schools up that way, sorry.

6. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

:stupid: Last year, I ran one Mid Atlantic event as a novice and ended up being Mid Atlantic regional champion in DSS. :crackup:

Just get yourself to the track. The bike will be just fine.

7. kione05

kione05 Member

:crackup: I guess its a good thing they run multiple classes together or it would feel like a time trail. Either way given that I am light on experience its a good way to get my feet wet. I will probably run a season and then decide what bike to upgrade to next. I have money in the budget for another bike, but don't know if I would join the ultra crowded CSS or do lightweight twins.

8. sowega

sowega #710

anything more than 250 is Freudian.

9. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Stick with the GS to start and you will be light years ahead of your competition in the long haul. I also started on a GS 500 before racing LW's. I would never take back my time on the GS.