1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Penske & Traxx forks

Discussion in 'General' started by tjr, May 1, 2002.

1. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

I just installed my fully reworked by Traxxion Dynamics forks and a new Penske shock on my '00 Gixer 750. I will not get to the track until Sunday but just wheeling it around the garage - it feels very very soft & bouncy. Is this how a properly set up race bike is supposed to feel?
    The only suspension mods that I ever did in the past was to change the springs for my weight. Maybe I never had the others set up properly. I would feel a lot better if a few racer types would assure me that the $1,300 was well spent.
    I'm hoping that after Sunday I can report back that soft & bouncy rocks and that it was worth it at twice the price.
    Thanks

2. RAPTOR10

RAPTOR10 A Predator Near you......

Man, I will tell you this. I spent $400.00 just gettin the forks done. I got the rebound valves installed and and had the valve stack reset and somethin else that Jacob did, but I can't really remember. All I can say is Night and day.

Jacob at Traxxion did an awesome job on them. If you spent $1300.00, your bike is gonna be like riding on a magic carpet. I am gonna have the compression valves installed next time I see the Traxxion trailer. (Which will be September at TWS).

You couldn't have spent your money better. Suspension is the way to go. It will make you faster and smoother than goin out and gettin a pipe and jet kit to make the bike faster. The better the bike feels to you and the smoother it takes the bumps, the faster you can ride it. After your smooth and everything is comfortable, then you can get a pipe, or whatever else you want to make it faster.

Ok, I am done rambling. You spent you money well.

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Your bike is, more than likely, more properly set up than it ever has been. Everyone I've spoken to says Traxxion sets up a soft feel. My bike feels soft, too. What it feels like to you in your garage matters little compared to what it will feel like on the track. Your tires will have better contact with the pavement, and your bike will handle fantastically, and that, my friend, is what matters. Your money was well spent, and you will find that out the first time you hit the track.

4. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Got the same basic setup...

I dropped the front about 12mm (recommended by mike at Traxxion) and raised the ride height in the rear to near max. I forget the numbers. but it was great compared to stock!!!

The spring is extremely soft feeling vs the stock. Are race springs for a 180lb rider softer than stock? I always thought so because the stock is sprung to support a passenger also...not to mention the passenger is farther back on the seat so more "leverage" against the spring...Would love to hear from educated suspension person on this!!

Anyway....

It is a lovely day in NC!!!:p

5. The spring rates are actually much stiffer in your new suspension. With a stiffer spring you can use less preload on the spring. This makes it feel softer on top, but it is substantially firmer in the bottom to keep the chassis from riding on the bottom, even under high cornering loads.

Best of both worlds....

6. packfan

packfan El Presidente

thank you smithers....