1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MotoGP finishing rule

Discussion in 'General' started by thrak410, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Here's the actual FIM/GPC documents
    http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/73468/no_cache/1/

what's so hard to understand, I just don't get it?

"Previously, in order to be qualified as a finisher, the rider had to be in contact with his machine when crossing the finish line. There have been situations when, due to a crash, the rider and machine have crossed the line separately. In future the finish time will determined by the first part of the rider or his motorcycle, whichever crosses the finish line last."

So, it says before you didn't count as a finisher unless you had contact with your bike. They are now allowing you to Ricky Bobby it if your machine and body pass the finish line if separated, and which ever is last is the time used, otherwise it does not qualify.

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

You can keep going back all you like to add more context to why the rule was made. That's not clarifying the rule, it's only clarifying the intent of the people who wrote the rule. The rule still says what it says.

If they only want this rule to be in effect in the event of a separation of the rider and machine then it would be easy enough to convey that in the rule.

"In the future, if the rider and motorcycle have been separated for any reason a finish will only be awarded if at least part of both rider and motorcycle cross the finish line. In that case the finish time will be determined by the first part of the rider or his motorcycle, whichever crosses the finish line last."

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

the previous rule if you were not connected, you did not finish. now you can finish the race if both parts cross the line even disconnected

You are qualified as a finisher connected to the bike.

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I agree to everything you are saying. The wording of the rule as stated is still ambiguous. Until they add some qualification to it to make it clear that it only applies when rider and bike are separated it will remain that way.

It's like legislation enacted to curtail a problem but the legislation is so poorly worded that people find loopholes and the problem gets worse. Intentions aren't the same as rules.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is the finishing rule was:

"To be counted as a finisher in the race and be included in the results a rider must: a) Complete 75% of the race distance.
    b) Cross the finish line on the race track (not in the pit lane) within five minutes of the race winner. The rider must be in contact with his machine"

". 1.24.2 In case of a photo-finish between two, or more, riders, the decision shall be taken in favour of the competitor whose front wheel leading edge crosses the plane of the finish line first. In case of ties, the riders concerned will be ranked in the order of the best lap time made during the race."

Don't think the new rule opens any ambiguity. It just allows more people to be classified as finishers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Wish it were that for Endurance Racing too :crackup:

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope.....here's another angle slowed down for you if you'd like

[​IMG]

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

With the way the rule is written, if someone does a 'Superman', and his feet extend beyond the back of the bike, then the rider will cross the finish line last and the finish time will be determined by the first part of his body, so, wouldn't it be a comparison to the first part of the rider rather than the first part of the bike?

BigBird likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

and if that rider's body is ahead of the bike, then it's when the bike crosses the line. so i think the rule is fine as is, as it just accounts for those sliding accidents across the line.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm a firm believer that if you don't cross the finish line with both tires on the ground, it better be cuz the front got hoisted into a celebratory whoolie.

Anything else is a DNF

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eh, still batting .500!