1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Helmet time

Discussion in 'General' started by mgmark, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Doug113

Doug113 Well-Known Member

Well I just looked at what helmet venders are going to be at the show. Only Arai, Shoei, and HJC, which is ok, but I can pretty much find all those locally. Wanted to try Bell, Shark, Nexx etc. I guess I’ll just keep looking and order a couple and return the ones I don't like.

2. Doug113

Doug113 Well-Known Member

3. FWIW - I wore a SHOEI X-11 and then X-12 (the SHOEI RF line didn't fit me right), then I went to an Arai Corsair-V...and the Bell RS-1 and Star fit me perfectly.

Obviously take that for what it is, but I had no problems going to those.

But one of the most important things is that you get one that is small enough. I would be willing to bet 90% of the riding population wears a helmet that is too big (I did until Van fit me into the right sized one a couple of years ago). The helmet should be tight going on, and it shouldn't move when you shake your head. When you first put it on (brand new), the thought should cross your mind "this thing is probably too small, I might need a bigger size". It will break in and the foam will smush/relax to fit better. Every time I get a new helmet (Bell RS-1/Star, size Medium) I think "this damn thing is too small", but after a lil while it is perfect.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013