1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gun owner research and questions

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

You should feel the concussion of one indoors, Reload has an indoor 100 yard range here, you might as well stop and watch the show because even if you’re doubled up with ear plugs and over the ear muffs its off putting for the ones not pulling the trigger. I guess I know why I can clear the 25 yard lines with a braked 460 S&W. :D

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My Barrett on a picnic table will clear it of shotshell and .45 ammo boxes. :rock:
    First time I shot one, I swear I had an out-of-body experience...the percussion is something beyond everyday senses. Dust on all the overhead rafters/horizontal surfaces rose 10" all the way down the firing line. :crackup:
    I had to shoot it again...laughing at the shoebox size of the magazine.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

3 words - empty, show clear. I don't stick my finger in the chamber or anything. But when I drop the mag and eject the round, I do an additional 2-3 slide pulls followed by a visual check. Why on earth anyone would pull the trigger without at least visual confirmation of no mag and an empty chamber is beyond me.

JBraun, sbk1198 and DmanSlam like this.
  4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anyone would pull the trigger either. But it's not a rare occurrence either.

+1 on the empty, show clear plus repeated slide pulls. I still think the safety is a good idea for a noob CCW.

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I don't get how some people mess up something so easy. But then again, people have done some much dumber shit and they will continue to do so.

JBraun likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

When I was Navy, we used to have the occasional discharge when turning over the watch. Idtios.
    Then we got to start all over with the switch to the Beretta. Once in a while, a detachment member would leave a small dent somewhere on an amphib ship. <smh> (The regular crews still used the 1911.)

Funniest unwanted discharge was the time a ship shot itself...USS John A. Moore, IIRC. They were puttin' the aft gun to rest and BOOM! launched a 3.5inch round through the smoke stack, through the mount for the CWIS (all kinds of messed up there, like stabbin' all your electronics with a 3' screwdriver) then off the fantail to kill some fish. :crackup:

How, you might ask?
    Sailors. :D
    (Nothing is sailor-proof.)

7. sbk1198

I always pull the trigger to release the hammer/striker since it's cocked once you pull the slide to clear it. Mag drop, pull slide to get the bullet out of the chamber (I usually strive to catch the bullet with my left hand when it's ejected...and most times I do!), then another pull and visual check in the chamber, and then I pull the trigger while pointing down.

8. DmanSlam

I can agree with this approach except for catching no bullet with my left hand. Doesn't the bullet eject to the right, anyway? Haha.

9. sbk1198

Turn it 90 degrees and it ejects straight up ;)

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's a step in USPA shooting after you're done with the course. The RO actually commands empty, show clear, hammer down, holster..

DmanSlam likes this.
  11. DmanSlam

I find there are only two reasons to pull the trigger. If not firing for effect, I have done multiple slide pulls (after removing the mag).

Now, couple of times, I had bullets jam in the chamber during chambering or eject. Good practice. But my approach was to: a) keep the gun pointed down or down range, b) keep the slide pulled (which was partially the case during a bullet jam) and c) remove the mag just in case. Those steps before troubleshooting the jam. If a safety was present, it was "on".

12. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Finally took official delivery of my DDM MK18 Sbr. I was allowed to go to the store and use their range during the wait period.
    I have plenty of 55 and 50 grain brass but looking for some 62 grain which they say will provide better grouping.

Attached Files:

Triple X, DmanSlam and sbk1198 like this.
  13. redtailracing

Nice! I've shot my buddy's a lot. Mk.18s are trick. Question though, what made you decide to go through the whole ATF bs for the SBR over the pistol route? Yea I know I'm probably about the millionth person to ask this.

14. Wingnut

I bought the SBR from my local shop as the previous guy that ordered it had to cancel the transaction. I thought I'd like the option of running it as an unrestricted sbr instead of the pistol version. I didn't mind waiting since i already had other 5.56 rifles.

Random inventory picture attached.

Attached Files:

15. redtailracing

Gotcha. Makes sense. Without getting too political, I’m not a fan of the ATF having documentation of my shit. But I see you still have plenty of pistols already.

16. Wingnut

I get it. The other thing i forgot to mention was when i stumbled upon buying the MK18 was i couldn't find a pistol version of it. I did buy a Springfield Armory Saint Edge 5.56 pistol and i love that setup. Love the trigger as well. Magpul accessories, Holosun green optic. Maxim stock i mean "brace".

The other 5.56 i have is a Ruger SR556 takedown model. I did get the 300blk barrel for it as well but have never run it.

Attached Files:

DmanSlam likes this.
  17. redtailracing

You got a suppressor for the .300blk? I highly suggest trying to .300blk upper. Once upon I had a knights armament (I either sold it or lost it in a boating accident or something can’t remember :)) .300blk and that thing was a dream. 9.5” barrel, pistol setup, eotech on top, Geissele trigger. Way too easy to be super effective with and at least some of the energy of a .30 (at least compared to 5.56). Only downside is past 200 yards, you’re firing mortars :crackup:

18. Wingnut

When i bought the the Ruger 5.56 it came with the optional 300blk barrel but ive never had 300 ammo and have never shot 300blk and really I hardly use that rifle at all. I thought it would be cool to own a takedown rifle but....its Meh..

I'm feeling my sleeping pills kicking in and im mispelling words now.. night

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  19. redtailracing

Yea I understand that. Not sure how much you've read of this thread or the other one but I took a little bit of a beating over my feelings on Ruger. I like some of their stuff but I'm very particular with them and there's plenty of their stuff I won't touch. Still, .300blk is fantastic. I know a lot of people say "well it's a niche round that's only good at one thing and it's impractical." And they're not exactly wrong. But the one thing its good at... it's phenomenal.

Senna likes this.
  20. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about the same thing but in pistol version.
    I'd love to hear what you think after shooting it a bit.