1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gun owner research and questions

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

20 years ago Ruger semis were bad. Today they seem fine. Definitely not high point or Taurus. As for PSA vs anybody I’d call it a draw if we’re talking reliability. I’ve been to enough competitions to know that ammo and mags are the biggest offenders. I’ve run thousands of rounds through all different brands of ARs and other than looks they’re pretty close. Now if your looking to drive a nail then barrels are not created equal. For Most people though they are close enough. I’ve ran PSA at full auto with no problems. But the last time I went hunting a DD let my buddy down hard. I really like milled sets but many say they are not as strong but show me one that broke and maybe I’ll sway. I also think an AR is a bad choice for home defense. The round likes to keep going.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

While ammo may cause a lot of malfunctions, good rifles will cycle through it anyway. As far as home defense, frangible or varmint 5.56 or .300blk is some of the best ammo you can buy. Look into Lehigh defense for example. Will absolutely shred an asshole but basically disintegrates I’m dry wall. And again, regardless of background, people who fight for a living still use that platform.

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Only because I’ve seen it many many times I can assure you ammo and mags will still fuck up the reliability of any AR. As for the AR ammo you are correct but it still is not what I would suggest for a house gun. Most people are going to just run ball through it and saying that people who fight for a living use it is apples to coconuts. Those people are trained and also use that gun outdoors as well as indoors. If your doing that then yeah rock out with your cock out. Most people a reliable shotgun or wheel gun is perfect. But let’s remember these are just opinions. Yours works for you and mine works for me.

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Also note, that most people that fight for a living do not get to choose what platform they will be using.

5. redtailracing

But those that do still choose the same thing... not to mention every professional I have ever seen with a combat background uses a rifle for home defense.

As @RonR said, we all have our opinions and just because they’re different doesn’t mean anyone is wrong. If someone is most comfortable with a wheel gun or shotgun then by all means... that said, there are some fallacies that tend to circulate a lot, such as that 5.56 overpenetrates worse than other calibers. And ultimately, 99% of shooters will put rounds on target faster and with more effectiveness with a semiauto rifle, or possibly even a pdw/smg.

6. kenessex

I have differing experience than you do in regard to both of those statements, however you are correct in many people will choose a different platform to meet their own perceived needs for defense. I have no experience with AR type platforms and don't own any. My go to bedside choice is a double action revolver in 38 special. My next choice is a Mossberg 500 in 12ga. Then would be my 1911 and finally would be my SKS. I have put a ton of rounds through all of them and feel best with a DA revolver.

7. redtailracing

Ok I’m sorry but I simply cannot pass up the opportunity here to say ok boomer :D

scottn, Wingnut and sbk1198 like this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That there is my whole philosophy on guns. If it's good enough for our military...

There's a few in the safe that aren't, but they're not of questionable repute, either.

When SHTF, default to your training.

9. kenessex

Get off my lawn you young whippersnapper.

10. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Todd is a genius. I go every year. Jesus that guy is something else.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

SBK, how are you securing your guns for transport and, more importantly, overnight trips in your vehicle?

12. DmanSlam

Is that because it doesn't have an explicit safety switch? A lot of what I believe are reputable gun sites, always have a glock on the top 5 and top 10 lists of handguns for beginners.

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Basic 14.5” Colt AR-15 loaded and locked with 30rounds stays leaned up against my bed. Couple other handguns ready to rock under couch cushions and other easy to get to places.

I keep it real basic and simple and not overthink it. No optics or other crap hanging off my gear. And I dry and live fire train with all of them every chance I get. They are an extension of me.

Wingnut likes this.
  14. DmanSlam

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine." -- Rifleman's Creed

15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

“This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one is for shooting, this o e’s for fun”.

DmanSlam likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

First, let me state that I am soooo anti-Glock it's not funny. I absolutely, vehemently and venomously despise their safety system and any other brand/model that makes manifest the same mechanical philosophy.
    Let's begin my rant, shall we? :crackup:

To answer, you're question (if I haven't already :D)...

Yes. The only thing, imo, that the Glock trigger safety does is prevent an accidental discharge from dropping it or having it slammed against the ground or other hard object. Put your finger or anything else on that trigger with just enough pressure and BANG. It might as well not have any kind of safety at all. Might be okay for those that understand firearms and are proficiently diligent in gun handling safety. I know no one is perfect and the chance exists not as a possibility, but as a potential or even imminent occurrence, particularly, if it's being used as a training weapon for noobs, that there is a high likelihood of a negligent discharge occurring.

My 1911 has a thumb safety as well as a grip safety. It's designed to be carried cocked-n-locked. That's hammer back, one in the chamber, safety on. In combination with a grip safety, it's virtually impossible to have an accident.

My P7 has a cocking lever/grip safety that must be squeezed with a force of about 12 lbs. Once it has been set, it only takes about 1-1/2 lbs to hold it. If you're not properly holding it to shoot it, you can't pull the trigger/it won't accidentally discharge. It's designed to be carried with one in the chamber.

The PX4 Storm I was looking at is a DA/SA (Dual Action/Single Action) hammer-fired auto. It takes about 8-9 lbs to squeeze off the first round if the hammer isn't cocked, thereafter it's about 4-5 lbs. DA/SAs can have a safety and de-cocker, safety/de-cocker or just a de-cocker. I'd be happy with just the de-cocker. There would have to be serious negligence to "accidentally" fire off the first round of a DA. It's designed to be carried with one in the chamber, just de-cock it before it leaves your hand.

You can carry any of the same type weapons that the above firearms exemplify in any condition of readiness you want and not worry about an "accident" if you use proper handling techniques.

I may get responses to this that indicate these aren't accidents but, rather, negligence. Fair enough. All accidents are negligence. In the case of the above three safety-equipped weapons, it would most definitely be negligence. In the case of the Glock, it's an accident waiting to happen.

With a Glock, you have to always know where that trigger is and what around/near the trigger is a potential "finger". Let that trigger catch on a piece of clothing or anything else while you're holstering it...BANG. Set it down and let it catch a twig or any other protrusion that finds its way inside the trigger guard and BANG.
    The only way to carry it safely is with an empty chamber. The only way to safely set it down is with an empty chamber. The only way to safely holster it is with an empty chamber. In my book, any action that mandates, for safety reasons, an empty chamber defeats the purpose of a defensive or beginner's training weapon.

Just my opinions. Others will have theirs. I defy any of those people to endorse, without reservation, the use of a Glock for training a neophyte with live ammo.

But why is a Glock so popular? Marketing. They blasted 50,000 rds through one to show how reliable it was. If I needed to shoot 50,000 threats in one session, I still wouldn't get a Glock cuz there's not a chance in hell anyone can hold off that many continuous threats with a handgun anyway. Wrong tool for the job.

It's like Ducatisti. I can't stand them. Can't ride, don't know shit about working on their own bikes, no other brand exists, etc. Glock owners like that? I have no interest being acquainted with them.
    The ones that can ride, do know how to work on 'em and recognize it's not the only bike on the planet are okay. There are Glock owners like that and I like those Glock owners but...
    I still don't want one and I will always think it's a seriously bad idea/poor choice to use for introducing noobs to the world of handguns.

"Ever ride a motorcycle before?"
    "Nope."
    "Here, jump on this V4R. Don't worry, it has launch control."

In closing, there's not a person on this planet or elsewhere that could attempt to hand me a Glock and not have me refuse it.

[/Rant] ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Well so far I haven't made any overnight trips with them, besides my CCW handgun which doesn't really count since I just had it on me. But if I were to bring some out with me during a race weekend as mentioned in the post you quoted me, I don't think i'd do anything special other than lock my truck the whole time. My rifles are in a Pelican/Vault case and that just goes in the bed of my truck (I have a cover on the bed which can't be opened unless tailgate is open first). For pistols I have a small case and I'd just keep that under the back seat. I also have a soft carrying bag if I want to take my shotgun or other stuff as well. I guess I have enough faith in the track/racing community that nobody would break into my truck at any event like that. I've never heard of anything like that happen in 8 years of doing track days and racing.

18. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Man....as I was reading this, I kept thinking "I like this guy! Totally agree with what he's saying about Glocks"...but then you had to throw in the Ducati stuff and ruin this new found respect I found :rolleyes: To me that's not even a valid comparison. I think of Glocks as GSXR's or R6's, because everyone has them!! They're everywhere, and 2 classes of people buy Glocks. The people who don't know shit about guns and got them because everyone said "get a Glock" (hence GSXR comparison), and the other class is people who really know their shit about guns, military, law enforcement, and others who simply know that Glocks work well, are reliable, and usually won't let you down (R6 crowd). Certainly not the Ducati crowd though ;)

19. redtailracing

Just a heads up, they are nowhere near the only gun with only a trigger safety. FN, HK, and Sig all make them as well and those are just the ones I’ve personally owned. I’m sure there’s plenty more. I get not liking the safety (or lack thereof) but you can’t hate Glock because of it and fail to mention the multitude of others who employ the same system. It’s common place among striker fires these days. Oh and whatever you do, don’t pick up an HK. If you think Glocks are unsafe, wait til you handle a gun that only had a trigger safety AND a Euro style mag release. :crackup:

Completely agree on Glock fanboys. But most aren’t that bad. I’d say far fewer percentage than Duc owners in my experience.

They are popular because they work, as evidenced by hands down more LE and mil contracts than possibly every other brand combined. Plus a very high percentage of people that fight for a living and have the option, choose them (such as SF). It’s not surprising. They only make pistols. Plenty of good gun manufacturers out there. But they all make a little of everything. Except Glock. They specialize and dump all their R&D resources into one thing. Personally, I don’t particularly like them. The don’t fit me well. But it’s hard to argue against their pedigree.

20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have far more 1911s than glocks but I really like both and use them regularly. I didn’t want a Glock until I shot my sons. It shot so tight that I forgave the funny feel of it. After shooting thousands of round through both 1911s and glocks I’ve had zero safety issues and wouldn’t trade any of them. As for 1911s being so much safer look up on YouTube the guy who pulled his 1911 from the holster while dropping the safety with thumb and shooting himself in the leg. Point is stupid happens with any type of firearm.