1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new glove advice

Discussion in 'General' started by cartmen34, Jul 18, 2016.

1. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

So... fingerbridge between the pinky and 4th digit... yay or nay? Do they actually help save fingers in a crash or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Last month I crashed and broke the 1st joint in my pinky and got a "mallet finger" on the 4th digit. Basically ripped the top tendon on the tip of my finger. I promised my wife I would research better finger protection in gloves so I figured I'd start by asking here.

Thanks for the input folks!

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm not sure there is empirical evidence that it works, and I've had both kinds and i guess I just end up using ones that have the bridge just in case it's even 1% better.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i like having it but can only have it on the right glove. I use 3 fingers on the clutch.. i'm pretty sure it helped prevent an injury on a recent crash though. there was a michelin man logo here before. scraped off now. may have bent my pinky back had i not had it . don't know. but i like having it there.

[​IMG]

Torn7th and dsmitty37 like this.
  4. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

I also got one those wonderful mallet pinkies from crap gloves... I have really big hands had a hellva time finding good fitting gloves with the bridge.
    I currently run handroids and I am pretty dam happy with them even though I have not crash tested them

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I three finger the clutch too and don't like the bridged finger.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. Knox Handroids from STG.

After destroying my scaphoid, that is all I have raced in for 6 years now, and all I will ever race in. They offer the overall best protection on the market IMO. Not to mention having great feel due to the kangaroo palm. They don't have the pinky bridge (I don't like it either).

If for some reason you don't like or want to spend the money on the Handroids, I urge you to at least get some gloves with the Knox sliders in the palm (Knox patented those palm sliders, hence the name. But other brands have them, like Teknic has some gloves with the Knox sliders).

dsmitty37 and r6boater like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

got this set of heroic gloves a couple years ago.. friggin best gloves i have ever had.. and i've had a bunch.
    the stingray slides vs. grabs on the palms and other areas . fingers are pre-curved and have little grippy bits sewn in where the fingers meet the levers. venting in between fingers if you want. real nice. have 2 more pair coming any day (custom, with my name on em and shit so i have to wait a few weeks vs. ready made that he carries). can get with or w/o the pinky bridge thing.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

i've emailed him/Heroic a bunch of times and never got back to me on a set of gloves. I was very sold on the glove...oh well...glad to hear they've been good

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm a fan of Held gloves...the Phantom 2 and Titan's have been amazing for me.

S Tsotsoros and cav115 like this.
  10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

This.

I'm personally a fan of the finger bridge, but if it came down to it I'd take the Knox sliders over the finger bridge feature. It seems like most gloves don't offer both, but I recently picked up a set of Racer gloves because they do have both and I've heard good reviews. Prior to these I've had two pairs of Handroids. I've only used the gloves for one weekend so it's hard to make a comparison yet.

11. MELK-MAN

text me your number.. 813-833-four five seven five I just talked to him 10 min ago verifying mine are shipping out. i'll tell him to call you.

dsmitty37 and BigBird like this.
  12. MELK-MAN

not sure what those look like but here's the heroic glove palm and finger venting . stingray is very sturdy, and slides on the pavement. tested em twice recently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dsmitty37 likes this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Judging from what Heroic is writing on their website, the stingray is being phased out because it scratches gas tank paint. It's being replaced with "smooth belly hide kangaroo".

14. Why are people holding on to their gas tank while riding? o_O

That would rule their gloves out completely in my book. That kangaroo will grab the pavement upon impact, just like leather. And somebody will end up with tons of hardware in their damn hand/wrist like I did. :mad:

Torn7th and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

you can still get stingray, you just have to ask for it and get it custom ordered.

hear nothing but good things about held gloves.

tack514 likes this.
  16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We got Draik these after his scaphoid fracture too... then after hearing/seeing some of the tendon issues (loss thereof) people have had, I was impressed by the "spines" on the backs of the fingers that could help prevent the grinding.

cartmen34 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. Absolutely.

I know some people think they look "gimmicky" because of the extra spines and stuff on the back. But if you are sliding on the ground or your bike is laying on your hands, you will be glad those are there.

r6boater likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm sayin'! "Keep your hands on the damn controls!" lol
    I'm with you on that. I'm a big believer in the Knox slider tech, over normal leathers.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Astars is releasing a new GP pro next month that is CE level 2 for impact and now has kangaroo palms. There is an even higher level glove coming too..

tack514 likes this.
  20. But does it have hard sliders in the palms?

If somebody would have shown me this graphic and explained this to me prior to 2009, i wouldnt have ended up with 7hrs of surgery on my hand/wrist and all of these non-OEM parts holding shit together.

[​IMG]

That scenario is exactly what happened to me when i went flying head first and my GP-Tech's absorbed all the impact (well technically, my hand/wrist absorbed all the impact).

In that same accident my right ankle was destroyed (somebody lowsided into me as i was passing them on the outside, their bike slid into my rear wheel, kicking it sideways and highsiding me). After i recovered from all of that shit (almost 9 months later with extensive surgery on both, a total of 2 Ti plates and 24 screws between the two of them, 2 months in casts getting around on a 4-legged walker because i couldnt work crutches with my wrist in a cast, plus months of physical therapy and electro-shock treatment), i went looking for absolutely the best protection available for both ends. Every search led me to the Knox Handroids and Daytona Security-Evo boots.

As a disclaimer, i am sponsored by Knox. But that didnt come along till after the fact. I bought the first pair of them myself because i wanted what i felt/read were the most protective gloves. So this isnt some sponsor pitch, i truly feel they offer the most protection. I would wear them even if i had to pay for them. I am not sponsored by Daytona or Helimot, but i would also like to see more people wearing those boots (and i wont race in anything else), simply because i feel they offer the most protection.

r6boater likes this.