1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer setup help

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Jun 6, 2021.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So my wife bought a new laptop because the keys were falling off her 7 year old one. She wants it to run just like her old one. I have no idea how to do this most efficiently. I haven’t set up the new computer for fear I would screw something up. I back up all the files I think she uses on a nas on our home network. Don’t let that fool you into thinking I know what I am doing though. Was thinking of maybe just making an iso of her existing laptop and saving it to the nas and just installing it on her new laptop. Am I off base is there a easier way to do this that will transfer everything?
    Thanks.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Save her files and transfer stuff. It will not be the 'same' but she will get over it fast when she finds out how bad same sucked.

dobr24 likes this.
  3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Haha I don’t disagree with you but she is very resistant to change and if I screw it up I’ll never hear the end of it.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pay someone else to do it.

Sabre699 and StaccatoFan like this.
  5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Definitely an option. I’m not proud.

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

It won’t be the same. Copy downloads, documents, favorites, desktop folders and then install her apps.

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Clean slates are so refreshing. +1 to copy files and reinstall apps. It’ll take her 15min to add her shortcuts. She’ll only do the 5 she really needs and will reduce clutter a lot.

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

This is her work laptop which is why she is so particular about it.

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I've got nothing practical to add...

but remember that video of the IT guy that was getting badgered by a someone at work about setting up his computer so he took a screenshot of the old computer and set it up as his background... lol

beechkingd likes this.
  10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Let someone from work handle it. Period.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My wife hates technology, but grudgingly admits to the necessity. We have an agreement. I know enough to handle the basics. If she wants more than that, she can pay an expert. If she wants to cheap out, she gets what she gets, no complaining allowed.

Boman Forklift and Banditracer like this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

She works for me! Sadly enough I am the IT department.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well hells bells...tell her that the IT policy requires that she adapt.

dobr24 likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

15. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I try to work from a SD Card for all my files. 65gig. That way its easy to transfer to a different PC if yours takes a shit or any other reason. I have learned the hard way before. Install the apps as normal on the new PC. Work from SD card. I also periodically back up the SD Card onto an external SSD as a backup. This is the way...