1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new chain

Discussion in 'General' started by Rick Johnson, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson Active Member

is a clip type masterlink ok for racing?

2. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

As long as you make sure the clip is applied in the correct direction, and put some silicon, or other type of gue on it. I've been racing for years and have never lost one.

[This message has been edited by AL GOODWIN (edited 03-23-2001).]

3. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I also know of some folks (like me) who use safety wire on 'em.

4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Active Member

Hey Al-

A buddy of mine lost his chain recently @ a track day @ TGPR. He was using a clip. If I recall correctly, he had the open end of the clip facing forward. I told him when he put it on that he should seal it up w/ some silicone, but I don't know if he did.

He also had dropped a tooth on the front sprocket, and added two to the rear. I was curious to know if maybe he had asked too much of that clip when spinning that chain around such a tight loop @ "track speeds"

Please do tell......

5. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Shoulden't the open end of the clip be facing away from the direction of travel???

6. AL GOODWIN

YES

7. AL GOODWIN

Hey Duchunter, your not talking about the old man Jim Johnson, are you? You should have seen that glob of gue on his chain at Hallett.
    No, that was last year he lost a chain at Talli.

8. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

If you go with a rivet link you never have to think about it again.

Some chains do not have rivets available if so keep an eye on it and never reuse a clip they are one use only.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

I have used both with no trouble. I use .020 safety wire and I put some RTV on it just for good measure. The reason I changed from the rivet type master link was it always seemed like I put it too tight and would create a "tight" spot in the chain. Nonetheless, the choice is yours.

10. racerxxl

racerxxl Dr. No

What displacement of bike Rick? In my experience on 750cc or larger always go with a rivet type link.

11. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

Every time I try to rivet my 125 chain I drill through the link posts. [​IMG]

12. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

Every time I try to rivet my 125 chain I drill through the link posts. [​IMG]

13. AL GOODWIN

You drill through it TWICE? I'd be practicing on an old one.. [​IMG]

14. midliferacer

midliferacer Brett

I use a 520 chain on my TLR. I clean the plate with some contact cleaner then install the clip. Then use the contact cleaner on the clip. Then I use 3M's weather stripping glue (the yellow stuff). I've used this for years, never lost a chain yet using this.
    I've had this chain on since last year about 8 race weekends, and it is still holding strong, plus I check it in the pits as a part of my pre get on the track look over. It's easy to see being that is yellow.
    Going to replace the chain after my next race weedend just because its a 520.