1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CB350 Honda Class?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Vintage 216, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Vintage 216

Vintage 216 Member

Has anyone heard anything about a new (?) class for showroom stock Honda 350 twins? Heard a rumor that they were talking about running them with the 350 GP bikes. ???

2. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Yes a stock 350 for 2003 can run in 350 gp.

3. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

Tim:

If I understand the answer where the 350 twin with a stock
    engine is eligible to race in the 350GP class, not in a separate class. The bike wouldn't be very competitive against the top 350GP bikes. The top 350GP bikes with a top rider can run very close to V1 or 350 Sportsman lap times.

4. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Yeah Jim, we weren't setting out to build them a new class, only to find a home for them where they'd have a better chance than in v1+v2. We don't want to alienate the riders of true 350gp bikes. (all 6 of 'em!);)
    Now, if hordes of "stock" cb350's start showing up, we might have to look at a new class for '04.........

5. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

CB350 in 350 GP

I'm sure this info will be available in the 2003 rule book, but anyone know what the limits will be for a "stock" CB350 in 350 GP? Does this refer to a stock motor, carbs, exhaust and or body work? Or will it just exclude the "built" 362 cc motors that are competitive in V1 and V2, and leave the rest of the bike open to normal 350 GP rules?.....Thanks

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Very close to stock.

7. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

If they are going to allow stock cb350's :rolleyes: in 350gp why can't I run a stock R5 in 500gp? I was sure there was a cutoff year in the gp classes and I don't know how many times I've read these words " If you want to race find something for the class you want to run in. " So what will be the rule of thumb, protest every CB350 that wins to make sure that they are stock?
    Hey how about this let, me run my stock:rolleyes: DS7 in 250gp and how about letting wankel powered re5's in to 350gp. :Puke:

8. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

We are looking to increase participation at WERA Vintage events. Since the CB350 was the most popular model ever to be sold in the USA and are plentiful, we thought it would be a good bike for newbies to start on (and maybe a cheap and more relaxed alternative for veterans to race for fun) and we would give them a place to play. However, just to see if the idea catches on we had to fit them somewhere before giving them their own class therefore we put them with 350GP bikes... were they wouldn't be a threat. How do we monitor which bikes are eligible or "stock"? The CB350 came with CV carbs which most people can identify in an instant. If you think a CB350 can be made fast using CV carbs, by all means have at it. If there is a fast CB350 at the front of the pack alongside the 350 Ducs, chances are it isn't stock... plain and simple.

So where exactly is the problem? Unlike the many requests we've had to turn down, this proposed idea for a new class would hopefully increase participation in our organization which would benefit many racers yet not step on any 350GP racer's toes.

If you think allowing the stock CB350 into 350GP is a special one-sided exception... then by all means, buy yourself one and take advantage of the situation. You'll finally be riding a bike that you can win races on... right?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2002
  9. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

The start of this ruling for the CB350 came from the USCRA,where because of the year cutoff date in their 350GP class the CB350 was eligible-without machine restrictions.Naturally,the Honda dominated and beat every other Ducati,Aermachi,AJS in the class.So, it was booted out just like in AHRMA's 350GP class.The idea came about to let a stock CB350 race in 350GP-a good rider may still run well,but it should not piss-off the Ducati riders and send them home disgusted(which is what was happening).What has happened in the last bunch of years is that the stocker has become the most popular vintage bike to race in USCRA.The last time I raced at Loudon a couple years ago,there was a grid in 350GP that had over ten CB350s in it-more than the whole grid of 350GP at our own GNF!That was very cool.The ruling for USCRA is stock,unmodified engine with stock CV carbs,any exhaust or ignition,and updated camchain tensioner alowed in the interest of reliability.Chassis modifications the same as other bikes in the class.Just CV carbs is not enough-the stock engine should be in the rules also!
    Hey, demon,what exactly do you mean by stock?A true stock DS7 would fit in 500GP for the same spirit of intent,but I find it hard to believe anyone would want to race with stock exhaust,stock heads,no porting,etc.Sounds like a bike for AHRMA's heritage classes.

10. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

It will be. John Early will be drafting the specs the VRC talked about.

11. Demon DS7

I say again if a stock CB 350 can run in 350 gp then why not a stock R5 350 Yamaha in 500gp? you know we could have a claiming rule in the 350 gp class instead of a protest rule. If a CB 350 seems to be faster than stock it could be claimed at a set amount. Seems that would keep people from doing alot of internal mods.

12. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I guess the question is... "Why do you think we allowed the stock CB350 to run at the same time as the 350GP bikes"? Please take as much time as you need to answer.

13. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

of course you could run the R5 in V2 and with very little development it would blow the hondas in the weeds...powerwise anyway.then "all" you have to do is beat tim, buff and eric!:)

14. Demon DS7

Thats easy, 2 strokeaphobia!! Why allow a stock bike ,that you say will be non-competitive to run, and possibly be a safety hazard in 350 gp? Maybe because only a couple of guys will run them and then in 2004 someone will figure that if they allow some mods, more people will show up and the next thing you know another class won by the 4 strokers from Honda!!:)
    Question, how many horses does a stoke CB 350 make?
    Question , if you were to create a new class for the CB 350 how would you fit it in on Saturdays, the day is full??
    Question, why not stock R5 yamahas in 500gp with just a few mods like pipes so that we get to hear that sweet 2 stroke sound?? Can't CB 450's run in 500gp??
    Take has long has you need to answer. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  15. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

im not a honda fan myself. mr s.honda hated two-strokes. but the honda 350 won V2 this tear and i stand by what i said about the r5. why not build it for V2?

16. Demon DS7

I've ridden Hondas most of my life and I think they are a fine bike but for power to weight ratio I like my 2 strokes. It just seems to me that when ever anybody whispers 2 stroke, people start freaking out . Mention changing the rules for 2 strokes to allow for bigger grids and you would think that you had admitted to being the gunman on the grassy knoll!! I guess in my own uneducated way I'm trying to make a point. If you want bigger grids don't try being like other racing associations.
    It will take me a couple of years before I'm ready skill wise but when the time comes I'll be their with my DS7 and an R5. listing to that sweet 2 stroke sound!!

17. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

i understand what your saying. i ride only two strokes myself, but in wera smokers fare pretty well in the rule book.
    i may race a champion framed yam 360 next year in V1. looking foward to racing(chasing) the hondas. im still working on the deal though. a ds7 in 350gp should rule that class with a decent rider and a good bike. its just a matter of people getting off their butts and building a bike for a class.
    after the 500gp rule changes i havent seen one cb450 or 650 brit twin out. may be the cost.

18. Demon DS7

Your talking about the Yamaha 360 single right? I had thought about building one ( I've got 2 motors ) But I heard they vibrate really bad at race speed.
    The biggest draw back to building a class ruling DS7 is the hotter you build it the more finicky it becomes. So the more money you have to throw at it. Which is hard to do with a wife, 3 kids, and a mortgage, I build the Demon last year with overtime money which of course is not going to be there all the time. I think my bike is a good reliable one, 135 lbs compression with mild porting and we won't even talk about the riders skill or lack there of. :D The sad thing is I wouldn't even know about WERA if it hadn't been for 512v and that happened because I called a local dealer to see if he had an RD to build so I could play on the street and he told me to call Tom. It's a shame WERA has remained such a big secret to the non racing rider. Maybe some PR would help fill the grids.

19. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Now ,Now you better check again.;) TIM

20. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Doooogh! you know what i meant say. a triumph won V2. the honda won V2 last year. anyway both make less than a hotted up R5 can. but, you still have to be able to ride with these guys to win that class.
    i was talking about the yam 360 single. i had thought the same thing about running the bultaco(vibration) also but it hasent been that bad, and its pretty cool to only have one carb piston etc. surley it couldnt vibrate as bad as a triumph and they do ok.:)