1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New bike advice/opinions

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by t11ravis, Nov 21, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

What's the difference between a TTR125 L/LE/E? and what is a decent price for a 2003 TTR125 or so?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

TTR 125 - 14" drum rear wheel, 16" drum front wheel
    TTR 125L - 16" drum rear wheel, 19" disc front wheel
    TTR 125LE - 16" drum rear wheel, 19" disc front wheel, electric start
    TTR 125E - 14" drum rear wheel, 16" drum front wheel, electric start

In 2008 the bodywork changed, same frame underneath. High seats are available for the older bodywork style but not the current. If you want a high seat on a new chassis you need to swap the seat, tank and shrouds to old style IIRC.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

thanks for the info!

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I know Ive seen Yates endo one, up the hill, into the bowl. Im pretty sure its a matter of having fresh pads, a nicely cross hatched drum, and a minty new OEM cable. :D The direction we were running... yah the rear brakes help tremendously! :up:

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I haven't ridden at Herrin's, but I rode my XR for a couple of years before starting to dabble with the rear brake.

It is still weird for me, and I honestly think the XR is teaching me some bad habits of just stomping on the brake pedal... But it does help a lot. There is a down-hill braking section at my home track where rear brake is pretty much the only way to make a pass.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Josh got the rear up pretty good on Sat. going into the tree corner. Couldn't tell if that was brakes or just a quick couple DS though.
    This was right after he passed me in the bowl dragging his elbow and then pulled it right up into a wheelie going down the hill... :wow:

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I am in the process of putting an MB 50 fork on my XR so I can have disk brakes on it. Just picked up a GSXR rear rotor for the swap.

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wish I could too but just gotta learn how to ride it I guess.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Rear brake helps. but you HAVE to down shift and use the engine breaking to get it stopped in any quick manner...

10. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

A disc brake on a hundo will blow your mind. I tried like heck to get the drums to stop decently with no success. Swapped out the front for an older cr80 front end with a disc. Couldn't believe the braking power out of a 20yr old single pot caliper.

11. backcountryme

I have a two piston caliper off of a pit bike and a 220mm gsxr 600 rear rotor. Franken xr is going to rock, ha.

12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Doesn't that older 80 front end have a 17in front wheel? That may be the ticket and just lace up a 17 rim to the rear hub. Bahh ...... maybe next season as I just bought new Honda shoes and cables to try and make these drums do ANYTHING lol

13. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

They did have a 17" rim but it was roughly 1/2" wide, ok I think a 1.75" actually. I stumbled across a deal on a 17x2.5 rim in the right spoke count and laced up that.

14. backcountryme

The class I run in has to run the 19 front wheel.

15. backcountryme

The MB fork is just a bit shorter, so I am looking forward to Un-choppering the xr.

16. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Wait you have to run the 19 but you can swap the forks and brakes?

17. backcountryme

Yeah, that is because the other bikes in the class have disk front brakes. So this is not a competitive advantage, but a safety issue. The MB 50 fork is functionally identical to the stock XR100 fork, only about 1 inch shorter and has disk calipers.