1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AMA helmet rule

Discussion in 'General' started by phillip doyle, Dec 14, 2020.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

curious if that includes the CamBox, which goes inside the helmet, and velcros to the padding by the top of the visor

2. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

So a colored/shaded visor is a no-no??

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

No. I think what it's relating to is cameras mounted on helmets.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

or custom painting

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

That one starts a discussion about obstruction of vision. I'm not sure about that, depends on how you fit your helmet and your tuck, I guess. I'll find out for myself. I am waiting on one to arrive.

6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

You don't see Go-Pro mounts drilled and bolted through helmets in the pro categories. It has been seen in amateur, especially kid, categories. Sometimes these PitDads and PitMoms need to be told.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Considering they don't have the ability or authority to ban it from pro racing they have done it across the board. They don't have the ability to dictate our rules either...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because they didn't try to make rules for rulebooks they can't make rules in? :crackup: I haven't told NASCAR what rules to run either, guess I suck :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a foreign object to a helmet so it'd be fine.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Paint isn't a foreign object.

Some of y'all are being seriously willfully stupid for no good reason here. This isn't remotely a bad rule or a big deal.

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Just a slip surely... You will to remedy this, certainly!

12. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

How about a purple Mohawk?

GixxerBlade and Gino230 like this.
  13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

What are the odds Michael Schumacher spends his retirement years on the beeb? Anyone got an @ to try?

Jed likes this.
  14. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Because it only applies to amateurs; not professional classes. Clearly, there’s a double-standard that shouldn’t exist.

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You can throw 50 go pros on a MX track and I’ll Brrrraaaappp right over them. Throw a go pro on a road race track and you can get a pile up.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's that way because they have a chance to dictate amateur rules and they have no say in professional rules. This is the ama not the FIM, it's honestly a good rule.

Quicktoy likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I was about to bring this up. Mounted shit on helmets can help create TBIs. Until a helmet is designed and tested with a camera integrated into it I'd say nope.

Chino52405 likes this.
  19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

already seeing on FB, tracks saying they will not enforce this. Ski

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

from what I have heard this is in response to a SX crash by Brian Moreau. The Ama provides a lot of insurance for many motorcycle events, and having the AMA backing provides the insurance for those events. Without insurance, many groups may stop having the events because of liability. If the insurance company comes to the AMA and says that you have to remove cameras from helmets for insurance reasons, that's what they are going to do.

Not sure if this is the case but it's what I get from it. Personally they should approach it in a different way, or at least put out more information about why they have changed the rules. But then again, transparency has never been their strong point.

The way the rule is written, can you still run a clamp mount such as a Dango Designs? there is nothing permanently mounted on the helmet. Or for off road riding, how about the Quick Strap system for goggles where you have a "plate" stuck to the side of the helmet for the goggle to attach. Zero chance of any type of issues from this, but as the rule is written, you could protest someone for using one as it's attached to the helmet.

just some thoughts on the new rulings. Would be nice to have some clarification and reasoning behind the decision from someone at the AMA.