1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 6.7L Cummings Diesel/Dodge

Discussion in 'General' started by RFairbairn, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

There used to be a pretty big difference between operating on gas and diesel. But you're right that the difference is vanishing. A diesel engine is ~30% more efficient than gas. But if it cost 25% more to operate then I don't think many consumers are going to be swayed by 5% difference. For me it comes down to preference right now. But surely if to cost of operating a diesel becomes more expensive than gas I'll re-evaluate my choices on my next purchase.

2. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

What you'll see is that you'll either be able to bring the DPF to the dealer, which in return they'll send out or they'll be "recondition centers" out there to clean the filter out for you. All DPF's have a serial number on them and you'll swap out for basically a re-man.

Over time you'll definitely (hopefully) see the price drop down with more of these systems in circulation.

3. Joe Morris

4. Cawk Star

Does anyone have an idea why diesel is now more than gas? Is it because some Sultan's camel got run over by one of our tanks? If the government or oil companies gave me a legit excuse it would still hurt but maybe sting a little less.

5. Joe Morris

I've been searching for a reason myself. The only thing I've read that seems valid is that global demand is increasing. I have a hard time believing this equates to the rapid increase in prices we've ween in the U.S. though. But I can't argue that diesel's are about 50% of the Euro market and growing in other markets.

6. Cawk Star

7. Joe Morris

8. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

Supply & demand.Here in the US our refineries process oil diff than in europe-called cracking,they produce about %45 of a barrel to diesel-we produce %35

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid:
    I switched from a ford F150 that got 18mpg hwy & 8-12 towing to a diesel Jeep liberty that gets 28 hwy & 22 towing- it's still more affordable for me to drive although w/ a 3.8L VM motor in it- I'm not exactly in the same ballgame as you guys with your 1-ton rigs.

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

My diesel costs way more to operate than a comparable gas motor. Just look at the fuel price difference and when you factor in the fuel milage difference it still doesn't add up.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

In my post I was actually ignoreing the smaller diesels...and there it seems to make sense.

12. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

My '01 Dodge/Cummins has been pretty much parked for the last year. As long as it's above 30 degrees and not storming, my KLR gets me to work just fine.
    50-52 mpg:up:

BTW, my truck has 182,000 miles, I have replaced the lift pump (once), brake rotors, adjusted the valves, never put a wrench to it otherwise. A real pile.:rolleyes:

13. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

Just blow the damn ash out of the DPF and re-install it. No need to send anywhere to 'recondition' it, unless it's a coated part, in which case it would just be replaced, not reconditioned.

14. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

joe morris and cawk star. What do you guys do? Im gussing cawk works for a dealer.

The dpf if they get clogged can be blow out. I am pretty sure the life expectancy of the ceramic and coating are more than the life expectancy of the engine. If I remember, I will try and ask next week. Also, the new engines get less fuel mileage. Whomever said they dont, do not rely on the console mpg display.

The people that have been having problems with turbos, aftertreatment, etc. are the people that drive these things for cars. If they are driven hard and used as they are meant to be, very little problems arise. Also, turn on the "exhaust brake" and try and use it atleast every couple days or just leave it on. (The exhaust brake seems funny to me, good marketing)

15. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I agree with g.mccormick... most of the people having problems aren't the ones that are towing with them and using them for work. The start and stop in town is hard on them if you keep turning them off.

I actually put on the BD exhaust brake and I don't want to tow anything the size of my camper again without one. It FREAKING ROCKS. With the ex brake and the Tekonsha P3 controller I can stop my truck and trailer in almost the same distance as I can my truck unloaded without it. it really is impressive and I recommend it for the older models without the factory one.

16. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

Part. filters can not be simply blown out.I do work for a dealer & I see problems w/ every type of driving scenario(hard/easy) Day in/Day out,but thats OK-repairing them pays my bills!

17. g.mccormick

They can be blown out. You must heat them in an oven first i believe. Or, on some engines isc, isl, the filter section can be installed backwards to blow it out, then reinstalled correctly.

If i think of it on monday i can probably talk to one of the engineers about this.
    BTW. I am a test systems engineer at the main R&D Cummins Tech center in Columbus, IN. I am not an engine engineer, but work around them all day.

How are you guys repairing the soot filter? Also, are you advising your customers to use the truck, and use the exhaust brake every once in a while?

18. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

Life expectancy of the ceramic is directly related to radial gradients- especially those encountered during unintended thermal excursions during an uncontrolled regen!

Not all DPF's are coated, and those that are do experience degradation over time due to thermal exposure. As luck would have it, I'm doing some testing right now to see what the impact is on the coating of a part after many regens.

19. g.mccormick

Umm, im pretty sure all cummins dpf are coated. I don't know what it is, but it contains some precious metals (platinum is one I believe).

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Yeah the 01 and 02 D maxs have their fair share of issues. I had an 01. Much fewer problems once you get into the LLY and beyond. Not nearly as many reported problems with the later years. I had all 8 injectors and the pump go on my 01 at 140k but the dealer replaced it all under warranty (lesson learned, buy an extended warranty.) My 04 has had no such issues with 60k on the clock so far. Prefilter run since new. The bitch with the LB7 motor was the Bosch injectors were designed to run on much cleaner european diesel. There is a seam that runs down the injector nozzle that collects crud and eventually causes the injector to stick open dumping fuel into the crankcase. When one goes the rest are soon to follow. They of course replace the injectors with the same ones with the same crappy design. It looks as though they have fixed the issue on the later injectors. They also made them easily accessible as compared to the LB7 which you had to take almost the whole top end off of to get to the injectors - raising the cost to replace.