1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges

Discussion in 'General' started by stymie12000, Nov 28, 2014.

1. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

Ok so I have a love and hate opinion of this track. Those who know me, in 2007 I broke a bike in half there. But more so than not I also usually did well there and generally like the place. But!!!

I will say the last couple of years the track wasn't so great. (I know there are threads about this topic so I will not go there). I see that it is not on the schedule for 2015 and I think that is for good reasons. In my opinion it should be for more of a safety reason than anything else. I will say thank you Evelyn and Sean for not putting it on the schedule. Even though it holds a great deal of history for a lot of us! and I know it might be a soft spot to Sublet, Sean and many others.

In dedication for no Nelson in 2015 here is a vid of 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvO4mySuFMs&list=UUhAA8aqUgdaOzo9eRZ8pooQ

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Im going to miss that place if it never comes back around. I have had a lot of fun there and my best weekend ever there. Also had my best save there. Thats me at the 3:40 and then the 8:11.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAe-tdr2D_8

3. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Love me some Nelson. It is a special place for me. First race was there.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

there are 2 rain races I will never forget..one at summit point, the other at nelson. I have never ridden in rain like that ever. one of the only times I was ever even remotely close to hanging with hate mc dead. that bus stop...love hate relationship with that corner.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

OK I'm going to stop this sappy BS before it gets started. I can't recall anyone saying anything nice about the place during any of the last 4 years I raced there. The last race WERA may ever run there was very poorly attended last year and that's saying a lot given some of the grids I've seen in the NC region for 35 degree April races. Some of that poor attendance may have even been on purpose to get it off the schedule. Now people want to shed a tear for the place less than 6 months after they had a chance to attend a WERA race there. I know it's only 4 people and I'm thinking it's more wish the track was better maintained but let's not get crazy here. Now you all can continue on waxing poetic :)

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Dude gets a set of white plates and now he acts all hard n shit.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

fwiw, I've always said I've like nelson. wish I had gotten you race there more..

8. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Hush up. Not everyone can race a novice class that has one bike on the grid most weeks.

I should love Nelson though. Swept the C novice classes last year against "lesser" competition. It was almost like racing on the LWT grid. :D

All I was trying to say was where was all the love for that place the last few years? When Sean and Ev see this they'll probably do a synchronized forehead smack

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

just because I wasn't able to make every event there, that does not take away from how much I enjoyed racing there. definitely one of my all time favorite venues.

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

The track layout is awesome. The track itself was beyond terrible. If it had a proper repave it would a popular track.

11. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

F@ck Nelson's ...... That is all:beer:

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Raced there last year. Loved it. Rough track conditions? Yes. But the small town hospitality was a nice welcome. Everyone was friendly, and it wasn't like VIR when you get charged just to breath the god damn air.

13. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Don't listen to Scott:moon: I like nelson in a weird way

14. ped

ped Banned

well motoseries has taken over management too....

15. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

First post in how many years?!?! And this is what you have to say! :crackup:

16. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

Place is a shit hole, has chanaged VERY little in the 24 years I've seen it. Good riddance.

17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Anyone go check out Mike Tyson's old house that was in the area?

Nelson was one of the first tracks I've ever ridden so I have fond memories, but it has more ruts than some trails I've ridden.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

never had more stuff come loose on my bike than Nelson. and I raced at gunstock! good suspension is a must have there.

19. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I would have gone there this year again. Yeah, its rough but fun.

Go away JoeC, this thread is for racers.:Poke:

20. joec

joec brace yourself

whatever. meanie.

:moon: