1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges Update

Discussion in 'General' started by Jim, Jun 30, 2008.

1. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

I think Gary has something coming his way. Maybe we should snag his camera to video it, just to add a little insult to injury.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Air Fence??

3. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Hope we won't need any :)

4. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Good thinking. And WOW!!!!!!!!!!! that is some darn good news for a monday morning.

5. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I was just saying the AFF in general. I hope we won't need any at the "new" Nelson either. But a little extra money to the fund could help everyone

6. stealth 52

stealth 52 Yank

wow, already gettin warnings. lol i hope its good. and yea u can use my camera to rec. it.. just take caution, there may be two more recording u.. lol.. i may not be there til sat. nite... still being a cry baby bout my hand.

7. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

Psst... Insider info. I heard all of the new facilities will be constructed completely from old tires. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gotta love it Dave, you're always good for finding something negative. :up:

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Ya, that's me, Mr. Negative.

10. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I'd kinda like to know where all my donated $$ is going to end up since it's obviously not going to be needed now. :rolleyes:

Maybe we hire Van Halen to come to the track and play a "farewell to the old", "celebrate the new" Nelson Ledges! :beer:

And if you don't like VH FU! :Poke: :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I understand - but if you hear it's being totally redone, is that the first thing that pops into your head to post?

12. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

cool might actually go back

13. jeffrop

I see your point Sean.

Maybe the mighty Arkle mouthpiece could say something like: "Hey that's awesome! The track history is legendary and now it will live on and get the updates desperately needed!!" and "Oh by the way, can we put our donations to some other good use now?" "Just wondering"

:Off:

14. jeffrop

Just realized the amount of $$ donated we might have to do a REO Speedwagon, Styx, Kansas reunion instead. :crackup:

15. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

As far as I'm concerned, Scott and whoever else has been moving and re-stacking all of those tires the last few seasons can use my portion to buy a few cases of beer.

16. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Jim, lemme know who the buyer is. I may know buyers for a couple of those kewl trailers at Nelson :up:

17. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see what they plan to do with it, Probably means no Nelson to go to next season. I want to see drawings of what they intend to do with it.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm at Mid-O right now, but got wind of this earlier today. Ironically enough, I just received this email from Scott Lane, in reponse to an inquiry I sent him last week in regard to where the initial $4k+ went for the initial Safety Fund. Here's his reply:

Eddie,

I apologize for the delayed response. I thought I replied to you last wee,
    but I just noticed that this email was stuck in my draft folder. (figures)

We used the funds that were collected to install a new drainage ditch that
    extends from behind turn 1 riders left to all the way around to behind the
    Carousel.

The ditch is the first step required to be able to move any of the tire wall
    from turns 1-3 riders left and also from 7-9, (around the outside of the
    carousel) riders left.
    There is a natural stream that enters the property from the east under the
    side road that used to meander into these areas that kept them too wet to
    move the safety barriers back any further. By getting these areas dried up
    we can now move forward and start to re-grade them for the new walls.
    We have started to some of this work this year.

Unfortunately the ditch is not a very noticeable or sexy improvement, but it
    is working very well and has gone a long way to drying up the above
    mentioned areas. The ditch is over three thousand feet long and anywhere
    from 4 - 9 feet deep depending on the adjacent terrain. I estimated that we
    spent 20 -30 thousand on this project last year and this is where the money
    that was contributed went. We could not have been able to complete this
    first step without you and everyone else's help.

Thanks to you and all those that contributed to the safety fund. We will
    continue to improve the run-offs and safety barriers moving forward. The
    economy has slowed us down some this year, but some exciting news may be
    just on the horizon which will have a significant impact on this issue.

Regards, Scott

Obviously, we now have a little over $1k that we were planning on presenting this Friday to Nelson, but that's now up in the air. If we knew what was going to happen with the track, then we still might be able to justify giving them the money. However if not, then we need to take another course of action.

One proposal would be to the Air Fence fund. I'm open to suggestions. I can fully refund the money to everyone and eat the Paypal costs associated with each donation, but it might make more sense to try and find out what the new Nelson owner(s) plans are and if we still might be able to help out. Maybe a "welcome package" if they're motorcycle friendly. Or donate it to another good cause. Again, open to suggestions here.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

RRW Action Fund.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even if I didn't donate :D