1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need resume critiqued

Discussion in 'General' started by Country_boy_88, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

Well I joined the unemployment line yesterday. I am hoping to get some feedback on my resume from you guys. I know there are a lot of Engineers and business guys on here and just want an honest opinion before I send it out to a few places.

Me: 23 year old Senior Mechanical engineer student(graduate in December) who has been working on a Manufacturing engineer co op for the past 2 yrs and the manufacturing industry for 7.

If you can take a look at it just send me your email email or post it and ill send it out. Thanks guys:beer:

edit: Also anyone know what I need to do with my 401k? I think I have about 4k in it or so but dont want to get raped in taxes on it. Can i transfer it to an IRA or something?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. HBS Racing

HBS Racing Well-Known Member

PM Sent

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

sorry to hear about your job loss :(

in regards to your 401K, i believe your options are: a) you can keep it there, and b)then roll it to your next company if it has a plan, c) or you can withdraw it, d) or convert it to a rollover IRA. The last probably being your best choice.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

www.boeing.com
    How close are you to Charleston? Let me look on the internal site to see what is out there, but you having an engineering degree (to be) makes it much easier for you to be employed.

Edit: Go here and search for any job in South Carolina. Anything that has "engineering" in the title is what you are looking for. Anything at level 2 or 3 (most will say 2/3, 1/2, 3/4, etc) is what will work for you. They say "Bachelors degree, three years of experience, or combination of education and experience" to allow people like you to qualify.

Here's the trick to get your resume past the resume screeners: Use the keywords in the job description as they are phrased. If the keyword is present tense, use present tense. I talked to a hiring manager Wednesday who explained the process, and she said that if she wants someone that "leads," the filter will not pick up "lead" "leader" or "leading." Screwy process. Use the keywords and that should help. If you plan on submitting a resume to Boeing, don't be afraid to send it to me. I will be happy to help proof it for you.

5. th3_d0c

th3_d0c Well-Known Member

I don't know about combining it into an IRA, since an IRA is taxed money, and your 401k isn't taxed money. IT MIGHT get confusing - I don't know how that money part of it works, I am only an Engineer :p.
    What are you interested in? My program N-UCAS with Northrop Grumman is moving to Pax River, Maryland at the Naval base and they will probably be needing a MechEng or two. Are you good with computers? Know how to program? Send me a PM.

6. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Nope. A traditional IRA is pre tax and you can roll your 401k into it penalty and tax free. The Roth IRA is the post tax one. Any moderately competent financial guy can set this up. Even Matheson.

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

You roll the 401K into an IRA Rollover. Remember as a 401k your investment choices are very limited. As an IRA you can manage the money yourself with few limitations. Also, you can borrow against your 401K but not from your IRA for more than 60 days.

8. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

I do not graduate until December but thank you for the heads up and the tips!

I am proficient with AutoCAD and ProE. I do not know how to program however.
    My dream job is working for the Naval Surface Warfare Center (CRANE) as a Weapons Engineer

Thanks to all the guys who have critiqued my resume so far! If anyone else would like to tear it to pieces by all means send me your email:up: