1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need RC51 opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by Auron, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Yes I am a bike whore and I change my mind like my socks.

1000cc's of twin power seems like a great compromise between the too fast I-4 1000's and too peaky 600's.

With a 30 to 40 pound weight reduction and suspension work, will the 02 and up make a good, fun trackbike? High corner speed is my thing but Im looking for something different. And the lack of outright power is what attracts me to it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Had one and I liked it a lot but...
    Good
    -Bike is solid as a rock through the turn
    -Tourqie motor for that era V-twin which was also very solid
    -A lot of info for that bike available from very knowledgeable people like Horde power and Kayle racing
    -Excellent oem non radial brakes
    Etc
    Bad
    Top heavy
    -you will need to dump serious money to drop 30-40 lbs
    -update suspension is a must
    -Instalation of pusher Spal fans a must
    -Every late model 600 will walk away from it (also depending on rider on either bike)
    -Parts may be a little hard to find these days...

I miss mine when I used it on street I would set car alarms on when passing by with my Sato exhaust!:D

3. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Hmmm maybe I underestimated the cost of bringing the weight down. With a single pipe exhaust and street stuff removed what kind of weight would I be looking at for the sp2?

4. borislav

Replacing stock SS exhaust will save you substantial weight but single sided exhaust was proven not to be the best option power wise unles you have WSBK or AMA unobtanium parts and motor to go with it. Findig quality aftermarket exhaust may be a little work and expensive.Exhaust that was gaining most power was Sato, Moriwaki...which are hard to find. Stock bodywork would also save good amount of weight but there is more left:D, that's why people call that bike a piggy!

5. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

6. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I know of an immaculate 2007 rsvr with ohlins for 7500. Are they a better bike?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

they were expensive to build when they were AMA legal way back when.

8. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

I'm a bit biased, but would say yes. I bought a 2001 Mille R new in 2001 after trying to decide between an RC51, TL1000 and the RSVR. At the time all the reading material I could find favored the Aprilia. It cost more money though.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I know of a well set up 2004 RSV1000R full Ohlins dynotuned for a lot less than $7500!

cajun636 likes this.
  10. borislav

Ape needed modifications to, difference was you could buy race ecu and exhaust directly from Aprilia!
    Ape needed opened up air box,scoops,suspension,etc
    Both of those bikes are going to be fun project and fun to ride, choose what you like more in your heart!

11. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Although I like the RSVR, the looks never did it for me. The RC has always had that HRCness to it. I will own another! Maybe not for track but as a garage queen/street turd :)

In for info...

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Handling is good when setup properly but the 51 is slow as hell compared to the competition. Fun to ride and race, but do not expect to be competitive, and I am talking about 4 or 5 years ago. Raced my own RC and Venom's.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would definitely make an SP2 a street bike to tool around on (even though the ergos and seat aren't exactly what I'd call comfortable) but use it for the track.....ehhh, I'd say much better/cheaper/funner options out there.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you plan to trackday it I could be talked out of mine for the right price. PVM's, Slipper, Mori Ti Exhaust and in HFD1 loved lump in it. Brembo Radial clutch and brake masters. Track only though as it's got the kit harness in it and I no longer have the stocker.

15. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

This one is what got me all sexed up about a 51. No real track mods, but for the price it's 1/2 way to serious weight reduction. What bothers me is that it's a Sp1 and weren't those known to be quite a bit less awesome?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/5339966968.html

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup.....you can read a list of all the enhancements that went into the SP2 below. Given the price between them is generally pretty close its usually worth your while to find an SP2. Basically alot of what they learned in WSBK with the SP1 went into the SP2

http://www.sportrider.com/2002-honda-rc51
    http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/52249-post3.html

17. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I was about to buy that one in the ad until I remembered how much they improved it in 2002. Even if I'm not fast enough to tell the difference, I gave up on the SP1 after reading the Sportrider article. It would drive me crazy wondering how much better an Sp2 would/could be.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Let me save you the grief. It wasn't that much better.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

I had fun on mine 10 years ago... It was an SP2 with Satos and the suspension done. Rock solid and fun bike, even if not that fast. Never rode an SP1, so no idea how different they felt.

[​IMG]

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I have a stock one if anyone is looking....