1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need older RV electrical help

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, Apr 25, 2011.

1. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

What is the round yellow thing in the red circle? It's about the size of a penny or nickel in both diameter and thickness. I had an electrical problem with my '84 RV that burnt up two of these. They are wired in between the main wire block (where 110 comes in) and the circuit breakers. I've called a couple of RV service places and no one can clue me in. I need to know what it is and what I can replace it with. Thanks for any help you can offer.[​IMG]

2. Brian M

Brian M Well-Known Member

Looks like a capacitor. Hard to tell how it is wired in the picture.

Any markings on it?

What brand power converter?

May see if you can find a schematic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

fusible link?

looks like some type of fusible link . I wouldn't worry about replacing it with something else but worry about finding the short that is causing it to blow. it looks to be doing it's job by blowing out and not burning the RV to the ground. you have a short somewhere in that circuit. yeah I had an old RV . darethea and I worked on it about everytime we came to sew trackside . the best to all. bill and darethea

4. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Nothing meaningful or electrical in nature, just stuff that looks like lot numbers.

5. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a short (I don't think) just too much of a load on the circuit running a heater and my tire warmers on the same circuit. The main breaker tripped a couple of times before these burnt up.

6. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

It's a B-W Manufacturers converter.

7. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

They look like capacitors. Probably used to reduce small incoming line voltage fluctuations. You can replace them with similar ones from radio shack. You could probably do ok without them though.

8. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

I tell you those little heater draw alot of power and then add the tire warmers to it and it will cause trouble for an older RV.
    Are you using 30am or 110v? I had problems with my old rv like you are so I added a seperate fuse block and converted to 30amp and no longer had any problems. I put the air and micro on one fuse block leaving everything else on it original fuses. And as long as I didnt run the microwave and tire warmers at the same time I had no problem. Now with my newish RV its 50amp so it runs everything plus a buddies tire warmers as well and never missed a beat. You may also wanna check the cooling fan for the fuse panel inside. If its turning slow the fuses may be heating up to much. Just some ideas.

9. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

After further research I've decided a replacement of the power converter is in order. This will upgrade me to 50amps and eliminate all the ancient wiring issues. Thanks for all the feedback.

10. Brian M

Brian M Well-Known Member

From the looks of yours, that is probably a good idea.

11. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

You will be much happier. Problem with that is finding good power at all the tracks. Most offer 30/50 amp plugs but get there early cause the go fast. Or buy a good 6500 Genny and youll be set.

12. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

Might also be a MOV- a varistor for surge protection... no schematic, eh?

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

best money you could spend. If you just kept putting bandaids on it, it would wind up costing you more, and possible WAY more if that old thing caught fire.

14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

looks like caps here