1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new bike advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Stimy25, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Stimy25

Stimy25 Well-Known Member

Whats a good deal on a salvage 2002 GSXR? Bike and forks are straight with a 2" ding in the frame. Is $3000 a good buy?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  2. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

IS it a 600, 750, 1000? What about the ding, is it 2" deep, round, etc... Where is it on the frame? Does the subframe look straight how about the swingarm.

I do not know much about the GSXR but $3000 is very little amount. It is almost low enough to have GMD check it out.

Chris

3. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

Straight to the eye is not necessarily straight in reality.

But for $3000 for a 2002 GSXR (any CC model) seems like a great deal. If visually you think it is straight then I gather the bike was at least not wrapped around a tree.

I would have GMD go over it regardless for any salvage bike I would buy. So my question is: is the total price of the bike + the amount you spend at GMD still going to put you ahead in the end.

For $3000 for a 02' GXSR I would think YES that would be a great deal. I tweaked a bike of mine pretty bad, and it cost me $1000 to get it back straight from GMD. So even if you spend twice as much as I did you are only at $5000 for a brand new GSXR which likely has banged up bodywork. If it is going to be a race bike then who cares? Right?

But you need to be ready to have you bike ready for GMD. The mroe work you do the less it costs you. If you can just roll a frame in and out of there you will save the most.

4. Stimy25

Sorry its a 600, the telefonica model. The ding is about 2" around and its right about where your knee would land at least thats what I was told.

5. Stimy25

anyone else???

6. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

I bought 2 wrecked '01 gsxr 6's last year.
    Here's what I see on your bike so far. Front end damage. The unfortunate downside of light weight aluminum framing. In most front end crashes the frame tucks under. GSXR's are the worst in this category. There are a couple tell tale signs of possible tuck;
    lift the tank and rest it back down. Do the mounting screw holes line up with the frames screw holes? Usually the holes will be a little forward on the frame making it a stretch to screw the tank down. Is the single screw mount in the front of the airbox broken? Check to see if the front wheel hit the radiator. Turn the front wheel straight and try to slide your fist between the radiator and the front tire. There should be approx 4" gap between the two. Even if these seem to be all in tact still take it to GMD for an analysis. This way you won't be second guessing your bike while you are on the track pushing it to your limit.
    The fork tube appears to be bent a bit, but you will have to pull them off of the bike and turn them to tell. If they are, fork sliders (inner tube) are about 195 each.
    Your rear rim is bent = 250+ each wheel. Good luck finding one for less than $300.
    I would look at it as an investment. If you can get this thing back to perfect street condition for 5k or under then do it. If it's going to cost you over 6k. Well, I guess you can figure that one out on your own. Figure it up to where you can sell the bike at the end of the year and not loose more than $500-$1000.
    I bought my two for $3400 and $3500. I wish that I would have invested in a like new used bike.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2002