1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need dry break advice...

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Tristan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Any tips for welding the backup ring to tank for a Clarke dry break receiver? My friend tried brazing it (was afraid welding would be too hard with the thin tank steel) and says the ring started to melt! I haven't seen the damage yet, may have to buy a new ring. I need to get this damn thing done and painted for Barber!

2. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

send it to Kenny at MRP

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have done over 100 of them, you just TIG weld them.

(You are not trying to use the aluminum one that they sell to go with them are you?)

4. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

I just did one for the new BMW. It has an aluminum tank, so tig welding that was easy.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The tanks on the KWS Ape's were Plastic...that was fun figuring out how to make them work and not leak fuel all over the riders.

I stocked up on steel drybreak rings a last year, as I usually do about 25 tanks before Daytona, and I didn't do a single one this year, must be something I said about retiring..:crackup:

6. Tristan

I didn't even know there was that option- I ordered the Clarke backup ring from justgastanks.com. It felt too heavy to be alum. and my friend said a magnet stuck to it but not very strongly (he figured it was some type of steel alloy). I still have yet to go pick it up and see how bad he f'd it up.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

They use to sell an aluminum one that had a split in it, they were actually designed to go inside the plastic dirtbike tanks..or steel tanks...they used a steel pressed in threaded nut...

Guys use to send them with their tanks and I would throw them in a box or the trash..and weld my own on top of the tank.

8. Tristan

Rut-ro... this one has a split in it...

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The split is so you can get it inside the tank...not gonna work.
    Send me a PM with your addy and I will send you one.. that you can weld on.

10. Tristan

Thanks Britt! Will do.

11. Russell Masecar

Russell Masecar Well-Known Member

what bike is this for? I have an '09 gsxr600 tank with the ring welded on that I'd like to sell....but needs the female coupler for "redhead" drybreak (and needs all parts...i.e fuel pump, brackets, etc.) if interested.

Russell Masecar
    [email protected]

12. Tristan

Thanks, but it's for a '99 R6

13. Tristan

One more question- I need to add a vent tube to my quick fill can (not the bike tank, the gas can). What kind of plastic tubing will hold up to the fuel?

14. Tristan

I checked mcmaster-carr, they only show Tygon for use with gas and the wall thickness is pretty hefty on it. Any reason this alum. tobing wouldn't work? http://www.mcmaster.com/#orders/=dv5ace Is a 1" OD a good size? I'm using a Nascrap style filler with a 2.5" ID, it does not have the 3 vanes it's wide open.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn Tristan, you're a lot of trouble.

:D

16. Tristan

'Sup John? Things slow in the Dungeon???

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Nah, just saw your name on it and wanted to bust your chops. :D

18. Tristan

I feel the same way when I see your name, but the line is soooo long...

19. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

The dump can should be a sealed system. Either have 2 dry breaks one being a vent or vent within the single male end. To vent a single redhead look at it from dump can side, you will see 3 or 4 vanes depending on brand internally of the male end. Disassemble redhead, cut and form a piece of 3/4-1 inch alum or copper thinwall pipe that as closely resembles the angles of vane, this piece should be long enough to reach bottom of dump can. Use JB weld to secure and seal to one vane with pipe. Mark where the vane is at so that it is towards front of bike or wherever the air pocket is formed.

This will vent your gas tank and dump can during refueling. You will still need a vent on gas tank but 1/8-1/4 inch will suffice.

20. Tristan

Thanks Eric