1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on car dealer's shop dealings with me

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Dec 11, 2017.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'm thinking I can get some good opinions here on this. Should I ask for my money back for the work the dealer's shop did? I have a 2007 Dodge Ram Cummins that I bought new. Four years ago the pickup needed some EGR work and my dealer that I've been going to since almost new took it off and reinstalled it. Last Friday I took the truck in because I was getting exhaust out of the interior heater vents. The Dealer's shop found that the bolts and nuts that hold the EGR on were loose and charged me $200.00 labor to find the problem and re-tighten the bolts and nuts. I've had this pickup for more than 10 years and this is the first time any nut or bolt has come loose, let alone a whole group of them. If I decided to ask for my money back would you suggest contacting Chrysler Fiat if the dealer won't refund my money? I'm getting ready to retire and $200 is a lot of money to me.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Law suit otherwise. They could have killed you!

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Four years ago?

I hope the new shop put a little blue loctite on the bolts this time, but after four years you're not seeing anything from anyone for snugging down some bolts allegedly untouched for nearly half the vehicle's age.

Sweatypants likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I would ask to speak to the service manager, explain the situation, and ask for a refund. You probably should've done it right then, tho.

Ford tried to get me a few years ago when my wife's Explorer was getting hot, and shifting hard. Turns out, the radiator had a teeny tiny hole in it, that would only put out just a drop at a time of coolant when it was running, so there were never any spots or drips in the driveway It ended up being a warranty item, but they tried to tack on some inspection labor bullshit for about $300.
    While it was being serviced, I researched those symptoms, and found out Ford knew about it, but wasn't doing anything about it. I showed up, unannounced, and looked under the car in their service lot, and sure enough, the bottom corner of the radiator had the smallest amount of coolant on it.

So I asked for the mechanic to take a ride with me, and picked his brain. He basically admitted what I had read on the internet, and that the radiator needed to be replaced.

I told them to pound sand on the $300, telling them I found the problem.

5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Hey, Doug!

This reply... get out of the shop for adding loctite for free (you're getting older, and don't want to work on your truck anymore, just like me...).

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but you're SOL.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Just had a guy file an insurance claim against me last month stating he had to replace his ECU recently for damage done when I swapped the battery in his vehicle 3 1/2 years ago.....

8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

What kind of insurance would cover that kind of damage, even it it weren’t a ridiculous claim?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shop liability insurance.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I don't think I'd be upset at anyone for nuts and bolts coming loose....from something that was worked on four years ago. I chalk things up like this to day to day life shiz....it happens....to everyone.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

$200.00 is way cheap for the hassle. It’s not worth The aggravation. In any even after four years the dealer is not responsible.

12. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I'd ask them how often the bolts come loose on those from the factory. If they don't then I'd ask them to correct their work. Just because it was 4 years ago is irrelevant to me, they did the work and if done correctly they should have never come off. I wouldn't sue them over it, but i'd let them know we need to start seeing other people.

13. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Four years later, I would pay it and move on.

I'd think of it this way, how do they know that nobody else has been in there since they last worked on it? I mean, people do all kinds of wild shit to those Dodge Cummins trucks.

14. 4 years? Not a chance and over $200? Waste of time for that much money.

15. Trunxgp1224

Perhaps you all missed the part where $200 is a lot of money to him.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a lot of money to me too - and it's still something you pay and move on.

neckbrace likes this.
  17. pickled egg

Amortized over the four years since he had the work done at the dealership comes to $50/year.

$4.17/month.

$.14/day.

If you can't afford $200 to fix it, you can't afford the $20k truck.

18. Trunxgp1224

Tell him, not me.

19. pickled egg

Presumably, he's reading the thread...

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

He comes on here for support and you folks just kick him square in the nuts. Not nice.