1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a sports attorney in GA/AL

Discussion in 'General' started by MR-MICROPHONE, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Not for me, for a friend of mine.

Basics:
    Ultimate fighter
    20 Pound weight difference
    Wins first two rounds
    Third round he gets pummeled
    Multiple bones broken in face
    Surgery needed
    Waiver signed
    Happened in a bar
    Sanctioned or not? Unclear

If you are a lawyer or know of one who may be able to take on this potential case, please let me know. PM if you prefer. Include all info so I can pass it along.

Thanks

2. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

he signed a waiver, he knew what he was getting in to. why try to weasel out now

3. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

+ 1

The dude is a fighter and got beat up.. He didn't have to fight. He won the first two rounds.. Obviously it wasn't a huge unfair advantage.

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yep.... you of all people should understand what signing a waiver means. I don't think you're going to find much sympathy for your friend here.

If your friend doesn't like getting beat up there are hobbies and professions where it's not part of the job description.

5. gaitherb

gaitherb Well-Known Member

Did the "pummeling" occur during the course of the three rounds, or did the fractures happen while he was defenseless (knocked out or clearly unable to defend himself) and the ref didn't stop the fight? I suspect he signed a waiver that prevents suit for injuries sustained during the match, but curious to know if there are additional facts left out above.

6. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I love Amerika! I lose, I sue you! Weee, Weee all the way to the bank for the LOSER!

7. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

while I agree with these guys any good lawyer could pick a bar managers drafted waiver to pieces.

I wouldn't pursue it on principal alone unless the ref continued to let the guy get pummeled after being knocked out

8. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Most good lawyers can defeat the waivers, they aren't all that. Still, if your friend didn't want to get pummeled he shouldn't have gotten in the ring. It's the chance you take.

Like my dad used to tell me about getting into fights "there's always someone bigger..."

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Dudes a pussy. He thought he was tough and got his ass beat, now he wants to sue? WTF Get him a new purse and move on.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well so far in the court cases we've been involved in, waivers actually are all that....

Totally agree on the rest.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Even if the waiver is air-tight, if the fight was un-sanctioned, there may be possible legal problems for the bar owner.

I agree that the guy is a douche for suing just because he got beat up in a fight he consented to, but the bar owner might want to settle on some medical bills in exchange for the fighter's silence on legal issues.

12. The guy happened to agree to fight, gets beat, breaks some bones and wants to sue? Sure hope there is
    more to the story...