1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need A new flat screen TV, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by CAMELTOEHUNTER, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

But it's only 60Hz. My understanding is that 60Hz will not do well with fast action stuff, is that correct?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Burn in is not a concern anymore. I have a 5 year old plasma that I played video games on since I got it, and I have what is going to be a 1 year old plasma and nothing yet.

Don't be scared of burnin, it doesn't happen...well unless maybe you leave it on cnbc all day and night, and there is a mode that removes burn-in

3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

False. Plasmas require more energy to startup but use less energy when in use compared to LCDs. You'll never notice the difference unless you literally count the pennies every month.

This is the truth. they were expensive but you get what you pay for. They blow everything else out of the water.

Not an issue anymore. Most, if not all, plasmas have burn-in retention built-in. LCDs can be prone to burn in though. My brother left sportscenter on all night a few months back and had the ticker burn-in on his Samsung LCD TV. It took a few days to get things back to normal. And if you don't believe me, listen to this guy:

4. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Screen was no problem... it was the electronics that were bad...

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Help me out with this refresh rate stuff. I have a cheap Magnavox that only has a 60 HZ refresh rate. The only problem i've noticed is some lag when playing X-Box or if we watch a DVD and have the sound go through the stereo system, it the picture is a little off to the sound. Is this because the refresh rate is only 60HZ, or is there some other spec I should be looking at?
    Thanks

6. F27Corsair

F27Corsair Well-Known Member

Go ask or just search around the audio/visual forums. I found the best in-depth, no b-s info at this forum- these guys know their shit: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

That's where I got smart on buying my 50" Plasma Panasonic. Generally, I learned that Panasonic and Samsung were the cream of the crop.

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Thanks - this will make me smarterer than the Wiki article.

8. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

Great idea. :rolleyes:

9. 178SV

178SV now retired...

1080p and 720p have new frame information at 60hz. 1080i splits the frame info into 2 halves so new frame only every 30th of a second or 30 hz. All flat panels capture that, combine it, and display it progressively.

A movie is a set of still pictures shown in rapid succession. Motion pictures are shot at 24hz. This can be jagged especially if the camera pans. 120 and 240hz sets analyze frame by frame and insert approximations on moving objects to smooth out motion, creating content that was never capture during filming. Many people find this ultra sooth motion unnatural and turn this feature off.

Sound sync problems have nothing to do with refresh rate of your TV. Often a problem with receiver hardware or firmware that providers should be able to fix.

10. 178SV

178SV now retired...

New LCD panels are so fast now that they don't have native lag problems. Most artifacts you see are from slow processing or glitches in transmission, DVR'S, or gaming hardware. Also, there is no content that is provided faster than 60hz, period. It's all post processed by the TV.

11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Thanks - I'm not so concerned with updating the current set as I am with making sure the replacement does not have the same issues. Is there some specification I should be looking for to avoid this?

12. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Sound lag problem is likely the communication between your audio source and receiver. Since the problem happens only when you use the receiver for audio. Check to see if your receiver has a firmware update from the manufacturer.

13. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Why the Sony hate? Other than their PS3 native operating system stunt?

I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch and its perfect for my use. which is mostly a decoration in the off season and movies. I also have a 5.1 Dolby Digital system connected through a Yamaha receiver. Make sure to save some cash for the audio, and not a $199 set from Walmart. Get kick ass speakers they make all the difference in the world.

My receiver has 4 HDMIs in; one out to the TV. I swear you can connect a stealth fighter to that thing. Its wifi enabled and is on my network; I can stream Pandora through it and to my Dolby surround from my laptop. The receiver makes things alot easier, but it was an extra $1200 though.

14. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Go to a sports bar that has been around for 5-6 years or more. Look at the TVs you will most likely see several different brands as old ones have gone out, look from an angle, look from across the room, then ask the manager which brands, types they are replacing units with.

In general I found that the plasmas are the oldest units, have most glare, not as bright, produce most heat(use most power??), catch fire after 4-5 years, heaviest while LEDs are not found very often in bar market, told the LCD are more than good enough for sports that price jump to LED is not worth it to them.

15. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Thanks - saw this right after I finished my post. Sounds like my cureent set (2-3 years old) is just outdated.

16. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

We just got the tol Samsung 50" plasma for under 700.00..:D

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

love my 47" LG LED,240/1080 was over $1000 LESS than the similar spec samsung at the time (about a year ago).. $1600, now for less than that, not a "true" LED yet. 47" i really like how you can click back and forth between screen size modes. That way the non HD stations don't squish the picture and "add 30 lbs" to people and stuff. Sound is NOT as good as a similar size Visio i have, but no worry if like me your connecting to a nice surround system.. the visio is in the bedroom with no extra sterio, has decent speakers for a tv set. and double the watts of the lg set.
    Prices are FALLING all the time on stuff, especially plasma. Got a "return-but full war" at Sams club on the 47" visio for $690.. not 3 months after i spent $1600 on the LG but like the picture on the LG better. Don't waste $100 on special hdmi cables, tried for an hour to tell the diff in the free one supplied by DirectTV and could not between it and a MonsterCable one..Took it back.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

These are old units though, so old technology. Most of the things you listed were an issue for LCDs back then too.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Got a Panasonic plasma 50" for $575 delivered. Showing up next week.

20. RFORC1

RFORC1 Well-Known Member

105" 1080p projector. ;)
    [​IMG]