1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA FOOSBALL

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Congrats to the Blue.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Georgia has less argument to have been in the playoffs than Ohio State and even and that is no argument.
    Michigan > Washington > Texas > Alabama > Georgia
    Michigan > Alabama > Georgia
    OTOH: Michigan > Ohio State.
    The only game the nuts lost all year, but there are games you have to win if you want to be the champ, and neither Georgia nor Ohio State won "that" game.

The only team that has an argument for being dissed is FSU.

And congratulations to TTUN, they made the B1G proud!

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And that is the bottom line.

stk0308 and AC1108 like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

OK, now that this is over can someone obviously more intelligent than I explain sign stealing. This is my take.

There is 40 seconds between plays. How does the team that is stealing signs get the information, analyze it in the booth and get it down to the field coaches in time for them to switch out the players as to neutralize the play that they've stolen? Not only that, but how can they be sure that the team didn't already change the sign since it was stolen? I just don't get how it's worth the trouble of stealing another teams signs given the limited amount of time that you can do something about it. I also laugh at coaches and players that cover their mouths in between plays. I'm not much of a conspiracy guy so explain to me why I'm wrong in my thinking.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Well they cover their mouths so they don’t squirt Beech-Nut juice all over the guy they’re talking to…

rd400racer likes this.
  6. rwdfun

rwdfun

This morning the air smells better, the coffee tastes better and the haters tears taste sweeter. Keep crying it only makes this better

GO BLUE.

tjnyzf and Jon Wilkens like this.
  7. auminer

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

BOOM goes the dynamite!

That's funny as shit right there!

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I think its not just about scouting your opponents games ahead of time, but also capturing the signs and reviewing the film to create tendencies which will give you a better chance at calling the right defense (or offense) for the given play. 40 seconds is a long time when you have AI and super computers do the crunching weeks before the actual game.

Generally speaking, every game really only comes down to 4 or 5 specific plays. You win those, and you win the game.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think it’s kinda dumb. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed knew their opponents playbooks as well as Manning and Brady did. You can give the defense your playbook but it comes down to execution.

BigBird likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It always does come down to execution, but its a lot easier when you know whats about to happen.. just ask Belichick.

stk0308 likes this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Bill could have been on the other teams film study meetings this year and it wouldn't have helped. Old Boy laid a serious egg.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

He misses Tommy.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. rwdfun

rwdfun

I appreciate your peripheral support on this as it is annoying how it's perceived by those that want this to be bigger than it is. I'll stop short of a defense of my Alma Mater as someone inside the walls paid by the university did break rules, but painting it as if what was done translated into knowing every play is laughable. It's confusing how coaches are saying they knew sign stealing was happening but seem to be also saying they didn't change signs allowing play calls to be stolen real time resulting in an in-game benefit. If you knew it was happening, it wasn't an actual advantage unless you were dumb enough to not change up your signs. The saddest part about this is they will implement in-helmet radios and the Teletubbies Rutgers uses on their sidelines to signal in plays will lose their jobs.

Technically 2 rules were broken, in-person, in-season advanced scouting of opponents and the taping of the sidelines. Sign stealing isn't explicitly against any rules but that makes for a punchier headline. Schools are already legally given plenty of info contained in "All 22" tapes which would show more and be better quality than cell phone video of alignments and plays run from those alignments which is mainly what analysts do for schools. Except this Stallions asshat.

Conner Stallion was dumb enough to use his own credit card and stub hub account and likely got his password phished allowing for this to be found. He paid random people with no loyalty to the school to use cell phone cameras in plain sight, but everyone thinks he was genius enough to us AI and super computers to decode the signals.

Most schools now get their offenses set then have them look to the sidelines to get the actual signal after their coaches reviewed the defense alignment from the their sky boxes. That would give the defense maybe 15 seconds to decipher and communicate. Maybe enough time, but plays have to be made on the field and if you don't know for sure you could create just as much doubt in a defenders mind which could make it a detriment.

Jon Wilkens and rd400racer like this.
  14. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

16. auminer

Just means that Georgia will have that much stronger of a recruiting / transfer class.

They might well be bottom tier NFL caliber next year.

zx6rfool likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There was a point where the Browns were the 3rd best football team in Ohio.
    Also, there is a point where recruiting top talent becomes harder. That is the point where a kid can be a star at another good football school but has to ride the pine behind another star at Georgia.

auminer, BigBird and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  18. auminer

That's a helluva problem for a coach to have! :D

19. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

20. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Kids these days are not going to sit and wait to play if they can go play elsewhere. Portal changed all that. No more stockpiling all the talent like Bama did for years.