1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nashville....Supercross??

Discussion in 'General' started by AL GOODWIN, May 11, 2003.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Todd you wouldn't believe the amount of money I saved by painting the house myself----something like the cost of TWO sets of race tires :D

Roy :)

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Losing the front straight is easy and we're probably going to try that in October.

I'd like someone to please point out where the dangerous spots were. Not once all weekend with all the crashes (which by the wayweren't totally out of line - who was at the first race at VIR?) did a single rider hit an obstruction. While people may not have figured out their setup the track is not dangerous and it is far from a shithole. We will be racing there again.

As for the rest of it - I got enough of the whining over the weekend so I'll answer it later.

3. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I will tell you where one is. Coming through the short shoot in the chicane. If you run off (or get slammed off) and go straight there are 2 huge mounds before and after the access road. They need to be smoothed out. That whole area needs a little leveling. There is plenty of room there but the terrain gives you little chance to kep it upright.

4. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Mongo,
    Like I said before, it looked ok in your Jeep. You should strap your ass to a motorcycle and try to work traffic, then maybe you will have a change of mind. There is no way in Hell the current configuration is acceptable. Yes, there is a smooth transition off of the banking, but what happens when you get off line trying to pass.

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  5. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Don't do that, it was really exciting. T1 was dangerous, but only because of the multitude of lines you could take, plus the high speed, plus the committment required meant that you couldnt alter your line so easily. (in my opinion).

As I suggested in the other Nashville thread, I think more could be done with the cones at the end of the straight to limit the number of possible lines for T1. This would funnel the riders together instead of alowing the dive-bomb move.

I like the track, and can't wait to go back. Please keep that front straight.

6. racer63

racer63 Well-Known Member

IMHO the entry to turn one had the most potential for dangerous collisions due to the speed, different approaches and the bad transition (depending where you came off the banking). Use the pit lane for a front straight and maybe throw some hay bales up where a bike/rider might slide up the banking and it would be much safer.

Second most dangerous was the chicane entry. Sure, riding around by myself and taking my desired line into and through the first left-hander it wasn't too bad. When you start racing for position and thinking about diving up the inside on braking or trying to come around the outside you get some pretty divergent lines and speeds. Trying to go under a rider during my race I got pinched down much tighter than I wanted on the turn in and hit my left footpeg pretty hard where the concrete rose up on the inside of the turn. If it had been hard-mounted instead of having the give of a spring-loaded street peg, I probably would have gone down and taken out at least one other rider.

Third was the right/left onto the back straight. It was a highly tempting passing spot, but there just wasn't enough pavement on the inside of the left-hander.

I'm not too sure about the drain grates that were in run-off locations. Probably nothing you can do about them.

I really thought it was a pretty entertaining track in some ways, but it was really hard to make a safe, clean pass in traffic unless you could power around somebody on the banking or back straight.

7. TWkeydet

TWkeydet Well-Known Member

Here is my 2 cents. I liked the idea of the layout. If you look at it it is a Daytona squeezed into TGPR. The only little kink is up onto the back straight and no banks. Other then that it is a similar layout.
    I hit the ground right off the bat on Fri as well. Bum shoulder still hurting like crazy and it made for some sore racing on Sat and Sun. The track was new to most people and hard on rider and machine. Even though, I ran my best in the last race on Sun and thought I might have actually figured a couple of things out that helped. Overall I am ok with the facitlity.
    Mongo, as for the only spots that concerned me, ( other then the transitions that my wife saw my butt fly in the air when I hit them) was the size of the LARGE gravel and rocks at the track edge. Going up onto the back straight and chicane areas. There are some ditch / dips in some potential run off areas around the chicane.

I knew Thurs afternoon when the first 3 people I saw had the same thing to say about the track " It's Interesting "

I hope everyone will keep the injured and hurt riders in their prayers and they heal soon.

Thomas #890

8. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

The difference here is that after the first race at VIR, everybody had huge smiles on their faces and everyone raved about how much they liked the track. VIR is a fun track to race at, Nashville was not fun for most of the racers, I think I only talked to 1 or 2 racers that said they liked it, my teammate Phil being one of them. I don't think that the track was a shithole, it just was not fun to race. If your customers are not happy racing at Nashville, why would you go back? I also want to say again how nice, friendly and professional I thought the track personell were, their hospitality was outstanding.

9. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

first impression was what the hell!!!!!!!!!
    but after a few practice session
    I ending up liking it alot
    and found plenty of safe passing areas
    the only issues I had was entering the back strait
    you were headed for the wall and the transition exiting the back strait and were on the short shute but they fixed
    that with they hay bales
    I will go back
    had a blast

10. melissa

melissa Sir

I was told the rider who was helicoptered out on Friday had hit the wall.

11. Critter

Critter Registered

All I have to say about Nashville is that track has evil demons hell bent on killing all two wheel riders.

There were so many crashes that even a certain tire vendor crashed his bike in the pits and may have broken his collar bone and cracked a few ribs. I saw him wearing a sling later that day.

If the tire vendors can't be safe there then how can the racers??

12. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

set up for what the huge slamming of your forks only to loss the traction in the rear for the bumps??? the place needs to rethunk.. the entry to the back straight chicaine needs to be opened up and a tad more run off there would be good. Using the pit lane will not fix the turn one thing just cause you to tighten it up even more causing more crashes There is little roam to miss a rider that falls down in ft of your bike....sure the track is not bad as long as things stay single file go ahead and say the pro riders do ok with the track....what about the rest of the field? How many red flags how many people hit bikes in the track how many people bent shifters bodywork ect. or back shifted going into the back chicaine???

13. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Well said Steve. :up: When I heard that Larry Denning, Scott Harwell and Fritz Kling packed up and went home I knew I wasn't missing anything. ;)

14. 2old4this??

2old4this?? Well-Known Member

STOP THE WHINING!!!!!!!!!!! Please people. I had a great time this whole weekend! This track was fun to ride. I can`t wait to go back! As far as passing goes , you must have not seen the 750 superbike race on Sunday!(one of my funnest races ever) Change whatever you have to, in order to make it safe for everyone ,but please keep the transition into turn 1. It was a blast to go that fast in there and still have bunches of lines to choose from!NUF SAID.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The rider in the chopper (John Gerl) did NOT hit the wall. Where he was laying is as close as he got and that was with bieng essentially on 2 wheels as he got to the banking. The banking does act like a gravel trap.

Steve - no actually, I had as much complaining about VIR as here the very first event we ran there. Similar complaints about not being able to pass and turns that were too tight, the curbing was dangerous etc... That didn't change all that much for the 2nd race there, it finally changed the next year.

As for why race there - because a pretty good number of my customers liked it and want to go back. Including many riders that didn't like it Friday. However these riders raced Saturday and Sunday and after getting more time on it they actually enjoy the track and the challenges it presents.

The gravel issue is one I didn't mention earlier and we're going to work on that as well. I know there was also an issue with some of the gravel being kicked up by kneepucks even with a conscious effort by the riders not to do so.

Charlie - I'm sorry that Greg hit another bike but give me a break, that can't be blamed on the track. That can happen anywhere. As for the other issues you mention - different tracks have different set up needs. You don't use the exact same setup at each track do you? If that were the case then your services wouldn't be needed. As for using pit lane tightening up T1 - how would that cause more crashes? For that matter how does a track cuase crashes at all? Last I checked the track wasn't riding the bikes.

Billy - I understand that you hate the track. That's fine, however keep in mind that you hate Talladega's layout as well, something a couple hundred other riders every race weekend there disagree with.

As I said, a number of rider like the track, challenges and all. Including the rider who set the track record (which is as of now at a 1:03.075 for those that care). He also hated it the first day, now he likes it. He also had some good suggestions for improvement and as with all of your suggestions we'll do what we can to make it all better.

Tom - quit talking about stuff when you weren't there and don't have anywhere near enough information to draw a conclusion.

And last but not least - the rumour I heard is that Walt saw his own reflection in a trailer, thought it was another rider coming around the corner of the trailer and hit the brakes to avoid him... Which worked too well and over the bars he went.

16. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

For what its worth, that mirror there freaked me out a couple of times until I got used to it :eek:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which trailer was it?

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I dont' know what trailer messed with Walt, but Buzz had a mirror on his trailer and when you went to turn to go down to the garage at that gate you thought another bike was coming around the other side...took me awhile to get used to it too.

19. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Buzz's trailer at the corner had mirror on the door that was open.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

DOH! That would definitely do it.

I'll have to remember to consider that in future parking arrangements