1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My X-Uhaul to toyhauler conversion project

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Jan 29, 2012.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    first to get rid of the orange and white, replace with flat black

[​IMG]
    then divide the bed in half, (8ft) and build a wall, with walkthru door. This is the bike area btw

[​IMG]
    Lights are hung and all semi-professionally wired with a breaker for each side of the wall, for each plug, and light, wired to a breaker box for shore power.

[​IMG]
    This is looking from the living quarters toward the bike area. ofcourse its just a wall, with a nice doorway.

[​IMG]
    This is the "moms attic" compartment, which will when done, be carpeted on all 3 sides, and i will purchase a 3 or 4 inch thick foam pad the complete size as this to use as a sleeping area for me and the gf

[​IMG]
    These are the cabinets and counter tops that will be on BOTH sides of the living quarters. I will have tons of storage in there and the counter tops will double as perfect sleeping beds for my youngsters. (they both will have sides that pop up so the kids cant roll off)

[​IMG]
    Drivers area. Notice the 2 front captian chairs, and behind them are 2 captian chairs turn sideways. PERFECT for the kiddos

All thats really left to do is, panel the top of the inside of the roof, put up the paneling in the living quarters, finish the painting in the back, and build me a nice ramp. I have e-track that will be going in the floor for bike tie down, and also a couple pieces along the wall to strap the canopies to. Also will be in the living quarters and possibly the bike area, will be 2 19" flat screen tvs with dvd players for the kiddos. There will be a home stereo type system that will also have the speakers at the BACK of the bike area pointing out, so that i can tune in the station at the tracks so that i can hear the announcements. I have one nice 18inch wide, cabinet, with a countertop on it that will go into the bike area, to put in tools and such. it will be on casters so that if i want to haul 3 bikes i can simply pull it into the hallway of the living quarters and be good to go. The van portion has 4 chairs for me, the gf, and the kiddos. Also, the girlfriend had a great idea for the bike area.. Where the wall is divided, we built a complete 2x4 wall. Instead of just completely paneling it, i took, and about half way up the wall, put in 2x4 cross ways, to make a inset shelf per say.. Then i put up a piece of the white paneling 4 inches tall so that nothing can fall out.. i built 4 of these today. (these pics were 2 days ago.)

All the walls, and ceiling are completely insulated. I will be able to lock it up from the outside, and im building a special locking mechanism from the inside also, so if the outside lock ever gets cut, the door still will not open.

This is a 1995 Ford E-350 with the 7.3 turbo desiel. Governor at 69mph so i will stay outta trouble on the interstate....

Opinions, complaints, or general bullshittery goes in your post.

tim

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Do you plan to have A/C?

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Plan on a rooftop heat pump

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Looks good. I'd like to have the extra space of a box van but I use my van as a daily driver and the gas mileage is better with a regular van.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I got rid of my regular van, as gas mileage was horrible.

6. Kneedown YZ85

Kneedown YZ85 Well-Known Member

FWIW, if you ever need to go more than 69 MPH, all you have to do is turn the key as if you're starting it. The governor gets its speed signal from the speedo on these trucks. Turning the key in the manner described will not engage the starter when you have the transmission in a gear, but it will still cut power to everything not needed to start the engine. The gauge cluster is part of the stuff "not needed" to start the engine. So the speedo goes to zero when you turn the key, causing the governor to think you're at a stop light, giving you full use of the engine. ;)

7. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

very cool
    did you cut a door from the cab into the box? I thought about doing a project like that and couldnt decide if i'd do that or make a door in the side of the box (so as not to get locked inside)

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

this particular van model, has the cutout from the drivers compartment to the back already in it from the factory

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Cool build.
    Does the roof have a vent?
    Id get a smoke/carbon monoxide detector in the sleep area.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Where are you located? I'm in the SE and as the owner of a black toyhauler I would paint that something lighter, it really works the AC in mid-summer.

11. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Berry berry nice.

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

7.3 diesel! nice! all farking Uhaul trucks around here are gas....even the huge GMC 26 foot moving van i rented when i moved was a gasser...i couldnt believe it...that thing DRANK!!

looks good!!

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Southeast/ TN.

And +1 on the carbon monoxide detector.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, I'm dumb when it comes to things like this, will that also work as an A/C?

Anyways, cool build. Gotta ask, how much you think you have tied up in it cash wise?

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Fixxored :p

16. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Cool build, will be nice to see the "after" pictures. Would like to build myself something similar.

17. White98z

White98z Member

I would replace both those donut gaskets coming out of the turbo while you have all of it apart the fail alot.

18. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

The flat black gives it that 'rape-esque' look. But seriously, good build you got going. I'm just hate'n with my open trailer and paranoid nights at the hotel.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just man-up and sleep in your tow vehicle at the track. :Poke:

20. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

looks good, when i built mine i off set my door to the right and mounted cabinets on the wall for storage as well as under the counter

invest in a nice alarm system with 2 shock sensors, one for the front one for the box