1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sv wont start and need a little electrcal guidence????

Discussion in 'General' started by bilet69, May 27, 2002.

1. bilet69

bilet69 Well-Known Member

i need some help i bought a wrecked 99 sv 650 bike, it had only front end damage
    and im prepping it for the track doing all the stuff blah blah blah
    but now it wont start and didnt really start when i bought it.
    the problem is im not getting spark......? i have pulled the plug and put in cap put on cylinder and turn it over and no spark. it turns over fine. i did loop the clutch lever and kick stand wires so i didnt have those things to worry about those things. i have also bought a new battery so i know thats not it. and have checked all the fuses under the seat... and all are ok. so i seem to be stumped it some kinda electrical problem...... and was wondering if maybe i did something by doing what i did or
    if anyone has had the same problem or know what to look for and check or maybe point me in the right direction??????? any help would be great, cause i dont want to take it to my local dealer and get the bill from hell..... plus they are thieving a-holes

2. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

You say you pulled "the" plug (and are not getting spark) and it "didn't really run."

It either did or did not. If it's the former, one coil is producing a spark. So check the lead to the other one. It is a crummy connector. Mine came loose. If thats fine, check the spark to the other plug.

You could unloop the clutch and kickstand wires to see if that returns it to the state you got it in.

If it's not any of that, you have "some kinda electrical problem." :D You need a multi tester and a shop manual to go farther.

3. bilet69

well it did kinda run just wouldnt stay running cause there was no gas in the tank but it was like sputtering so it was running just like your running out of gas. i cheacked all fuses and connecters and all are cleaned and good as far as i can see.....
    so i guess ill check the other plug too. as far as a manual im waiting for it and there is a race this weekend and it wont be in till next week sometime! so im kinda in a hurry which isnt good with electric probs.

4. bilet69

what about the kick stand is it ok to loop?? or is there some kinda micro switch that doesnt let you loop it to work????? im just thinking of the stupid stuff...............................

5. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Yeesh I am going to assume youi have put gas in it.:rolleyes:

Check the electrical lead that attaches directly to the coil. It can work it's way loose and you won't be able to tell by just looking.

6. bilet69

yes i put in gas....... i did check the power going to the 2 coils and they are at 12.5 volt but no spark?????????????? all checks out pretty good and i still dont know whats the problem???????? i dont have a manuaul yet its on the way to give values for volts for everything...:confused: