1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My satellite internet sucks

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Oct 7, 2016.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Here is the deal. I have satellite internet with Exede. I have intermittent service as it will just stop being connected and then it will say I don't have an internet connection and then it might just come back or I may need to restart my wireless or I may need to cycle the modem and the router. Sometimes one device will be working and another one won't have an internet connection, It is very frustrating and the service provider is reluctant to do anything about it, it is frustrating trying to stream anything as it loses the connection all the time or is very pixilated for a while and then clears up. The streaming is the worst, as a computer just stalls on a page, but the streaming is just so annoying.

The modem is a ViaSat Surfbeam2 model RM4100. I am going to try and get the provider to send me another modem, but I think they are not going to want to do it. I am using a netgear wireless router and it seems to be DHCP ing ok, but does it get its IP adresses from the modem or something? Other customers in town that I have talked to are not having this issue.

I am way north and just on the northern edge of the satellites path.

Help!!!

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How's your outside setup look?
    If you are losing signal, start there.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Are you sure its the signal? Have you tried different DNS servers?

4. kenessex

The outside setup is as good as it is going to get. If I go to the IP for the satellite I can check my signal strength and such. Even when it says I don't hae internet access, my signal strength at the satellite is still good. Then at other times I will try to look at the signal strength and I get the message in my browser that the page can't be found. Lots of times I get the error message that the site I am trying to get to has not sent any data. If I reload the page, it may or may not load. Right now, my Amazon fire won't hold a signal but I am on the interwebs and my wife is streaming the show she wanted to watch on the tv, on her tablet.

It seems like a problem with the modem, as the router is not dropping in and out.

5. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Does the modem have a static ip address? Try to ping that ip address when you are having issues, if you can't ping the modem ip address then more than likely your modem is the culprit

6. kenessex

I think the modem does have a static ip. Most of the time when I put that in as the URL, I get the info about the satellite "Tria" stuff like signal strength and stuff. Sometimes when I put in the IP, the browser says it can't find it. I think the modem is the problem and has been all along, but the service provider basically says it either works or doesn't. I am looking for some info so I can get back to the service provider and get them to send me another modem. I am out in the middle of interior Alaska, so there is no way I can get a technician or anybody out here to check anything.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pull up a command prompt:

tracert <ip address or domain name outside your network>

See where the hiccup occurs.

If you're looking for a particular IP address you should be able to hit, type:

ipconfig /all

Use the IP address of the primary DNS server.

Note: these instructions are for a geriatric old WinXP installation, MicroSloth in their infinite jackoffery has likely changed the command names and made you get a call ticket number in order to pull a command prompt. :moon:

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dude I stopped reading at Exede.

I had them for 3 months.

Do a quick google search for excede/wild blue or whatever they're called.

9 of 10 reviews are pissed off people then the charge out the ass for early termination then charge you to send back their shit equipment.

The best thing I did was get rid of their garbage.

9. kenessex

Unfortunately they are the only game in town. When it works it is ok, but the only other option is DSL which also has to go via satellite, just a different one and it is slow all the time. All in all I can get mediocre to poor at best. I would be satisfied with what I have if it would be consistent. I'll see what I can figure out with IPs and such.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They are bad about modifying your usage. Another complaint.

Track how much data you actually use. Don't use Netflix or sttrwam

11. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

The command prompt is still in Windows 10, so no problem. The commands are still the same as back in the MS-DOS days.