1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mugello, Italy | MotoGP 2014 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, May 27, 2014.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Thank you for proving my point. :p

2. I think the spec motor aspect of Moto 2 makes it easy for someone to end up pretty far back. You routinely see big names outside the points in certain weekends. In other series, like WSBK for instance, only 6-10 guys have the necessary HP to win a dry race at most tracks, so even if those guys have a bad weekend, they still make the top 10 if they don't crash. In Moto 2, 30 some have the HP to win a race.

3. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

What's the ballpark cost for a "pay to ride" opportunity for a decent ride in Moto2? Anyone have any idea?

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

250 GP winners 2009:
    Hiroshi Aoyama (Champion)
    Héctor Barberá
    Álvaro Bautista
    Marco Simoncelli
    Mattia Pasini

250 GP Finishing order 2009:
    1 Hiroshi Aoyama
    2 Héctor Barberá
    3 Marco Simoncelli
    4 Álvaro Bautista
    5 Mattia Pasini
    6 Raffaele De Rosa
    7 Thomas Lüthi
    8 Mike Di Meglio
    9 Héctor Faubel
    10 Alex Debón
    11 Roberto Locatelli
    12 Jules Cluzel
    13 Ratthapark Wilairot
    14 Karel Abraham
    15 Lukáš Pešek
    16 Alex Baldolini
    17 Shoya Tomizawa
    18 Gábor Talmácsi
    19 Shuhei Aoyama
    20 Aleix Espargaró

5. Had he not died, I think it's very likely that Marco would have won some races. Bautista, on the other hand, is more inconsistent, but is still very fast when things are going his way. Both were very strong 250 riders, and both are former GP world champions.

6. The previous year's 250cc champion, along with the 2005 125cc world champion, the 2006 125cc world champion, and the 2008 125cc world champion.

7. And Thank You for proving, once again, that I'm always with you :D

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was hesitant on Crutchlow when I posted but I'm positive about Sykes.

9. I think Cal may have won BSB supersport.

Edit: Yep. I just checked. Cal won the BSB supersport championship in 2006, in pretty dominant fashion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  10. 600 dbl are

So some has beens and never will be's :p

11. 600 dbl are

Rossi is finding it hard to win a race now and Simo wasn't good enough to hold his jock, so I have to disagree there. He was just as erratic as Bautista, if not worse.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was posting about superbikes. He failed to win that and moved on to the world championship with good results.

13. :up: And I agree with your premise.

Conversely, when someone squeaks out a championship, without many wins, they may not be ready to move on to the next level and be successful at it.

14. I can't agree with this. In the races leading up to his death, he had found a consistency that Bautista has yet to achieve. In the six races leading up to Sepang, Marco had two podiums, and three fourths. He was riding better than I've seen Bautista ride.

15. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

But that doesn't make him wrong, either. Accurate or not, European teams are going to look at Herrin as an example US racers and likely pass on future riders as a result.

I'm not trying to take anything from Herrin. It has to be VERY hard for him to be out there on tracks he doesn't know, but he's got to reign himself in a bit and finish races. It doesn't matter how fast he could be if he can't get to the finish, and keeps giving the techs a yard sale to rebuild every weekend. They'll punt him soon if it keeps up. It's cheaper to buy out his contract than rebuild the bike from debris every race.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Last rider to win a 250GP World Championship. He hasn't been the same since he broke his neck in 2010. Shame really.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  17. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that he won the championship on a Honda. Next highest Honda was De Rosa in 6th.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This seems to happen with a lot of guys. Just goes to show how much blind luck goes into this sport even at the stratospheric level. Marquez Uno is extremely lucky that he still even has a career after what happened to him in 2011. I wonder how good Aoyama would have been without that incident. Alien?

19. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

This is 100% true.

20. caferace

caferace No.

I'll politely disagree. There are eyes on Cam. While you have engineered some great deals in the paddock, you haven't been talking as much to the second tier teams. They are paying attention.

I'll say 80%. :)

-jim