1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSO / Title transfer

Discussion in 'General' started by YZROOSTINYA, Apr 27, 2020.

1. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I sold my frame with an MSO that was signed and notarized from the dealer to previous owner.

I was under the impression the buyer could take that MSO and have it transferred and titled in his name.

I was incorrect. Anybody know the fastest, cheapest way to allowed it to be transferred and titled?

Buyer is in Texas.

2. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

It’s been a pita when it happened to me

You can either request a dmv only power of atty from
    The previous owner or have him
    Do it for you ....but as far as I can remember you will have to pay tax on the new value , at least that’s what I can remember in Florida . If it’s signed to his name , technically it’s “his” in the eyes of the dmv .
    Now with the mail
    Away dmv stuff you may be able to get creative with paperwork and make it work though since you won’t be in front of a clerk face to face

3. YZROOSTINYA

They told the buyer he has to have the original guy title it and pay sales tax, then me title and tax, then the buyer and tax...

Or do a “bundle title?”.

All that tax is worth more than what I sold it for.

4. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Jump the title directly from
    Him
    To your buyer is an option to save a couple bucks ..... lots of moving parts

Or .... if you are connected to a tow Co or storage yard have them put a lien on it and get the title that way but it’ll
    Take 30 days or so and will still
    Cost several hundred $

5. YZROOSTINYA

That’s what I was hoping to do. But I don’t know how

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Washington State has a form that allows the title applicant to request MSO release from the holder. It might be worth it to go direct to the Texas DMV for guidance.

7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Can you find the previous owner on the MSO?

They can title the bike(frame) then transfer to new owner.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Was it originally purchased as a bike or a replacement frame?

If it was just a frame you might be able to get the dealer to get a duplicate MSO from the factory. A fee will be involved.

You can then give it to the buyer and he can get a title.

If not then everyone who's name is on it is on the hook for taxes for when it changed hands.

9. YZROOSTINYA

I bought the bike from my dealer in 2013. Sold it , and the MSO was signed over to that person.

I bought the bike back in 2016. I never did anything with the MSO , or had it transferred into my name.

I now just sold the frame and gave the new buyer the MSO thinking he could transfer it since it was singed from the person before.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This has been covered on here before. MSO's are only transferable from a registered dealer to dealer. Once it's sold to the public it needs to be registered to be legally transferred, the MSO means nothing to the state, they want their tax $.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

MSO in hand is as good as a title since they can't be replaced if you have the MSO it's yours. If someone is trying to use it on the street you are screwed unless someone wants to pay sales tax on the current value

12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've bought multiple bikes with no title whatsoever. Either it was lost, never transferred from multiple owners, or anything other than stolen. In MI we can have the title bonded (most brick and morter insurance companies will do this for you) Its only ever cost me about $100. They give you the surety bond paperwork, then you bring the BOS and that to the DMV, they re-check for stolen, salvage, repair, clean, etc. Then they issue the correct title. So if you bought a bike that was salvage from another state, more than likely MI DMV is going to give you a salvage title. So people cant wash titles.

I've done 3 bikes and one entire Nissan 240sx I pulled from a junk yard lol.

Maybe you and the buyer could work something similar out?

Hope I could help.

TurboBlew likes this.