1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris13, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

Starting a new job, so leaving Ohio for Los Angeles California. Pull chocks in 1 week and have never been to California. What do I need to know?

2. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

Lane splitting is legal, In-n-Out makes the best burger you've ever had (get it Animal Style), and Bert's Mega Mall is a great place to spend way too much time and money. Are you moving to LA proper or a 'burb?

3. Chris13

I have a place in Hermosa beach. Is that a burb or LA proper?

Animal style?

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No 15rd mags in your Glock. No 30rd mags or 20mags in your AR-15, 10rd maximum. No pistol grips allowed on your rifles or shotguns. Oh and no smoking. Anywhere. Ever.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

That would a burb...loaded with liberals...:D If you have a garage, keep it LOCKED, thieves from the inland cities go to the beach areas to steal bicycles ect..

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What happens if you bring in a vehicle that doesn't have all the Kali smog stuff on it? Can you register it?

7. caferace

caferace No.

Traffic sucks. BAD. Keep your commute as short as possible or arrange flex hours or telecommuting.

And yes, there are a lot of hot women. BUT. They are f'in nuts. Every single one of 'em. :D

-jim

8. caferace

caferace No.

9. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

Huntington Beach is nice!! whoever recommended Bert's Mega Mall is nuts!! that place is a rip-off on bikes!! (however, it is a nice place to look around). I dunno if you're into canyon riding but we have a lot of good ones. Check out Azusa Canyon (Hwy 39) and GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) if you get a chance, and of course, there is Malibu and ACH (Angeles Crest Highway). The weather kicks ass, especially compared to Ohio.

10. Chris13

Google maps says I am withing 5 mins of work(FWIIW). No highways. Girls are f'in nutz here in Ohio. Different flavor of crazy in California?

11. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

It's a burb but it's in the right direction. Still a lil close to LAX but if you just plan for the traffic, you'll be fine. What do you like to do? I can give better reco's if you give me an idea. Here's some generic stuff though: Spend some time in Santa Monica when you get a chance. The pier is fun and 3rd Street Promenade has all kinds of food, shopping, street performers, etc. Animal Style = all kinds of love. It's not on the menu. I probably shouldn't even be posting this since it's on the hush-hush. :tut: lol
    Great advice. If you live in a beach house, you're a bigger target because leaving a bike on the porch with a 3-foot fence is what passes for security out there. Even garages are targeted, especially the ones with the windows at the top. Keep it closed and use a padlock if possible. You could also get a storage facility and lock them in there.
    Troof!
    C'mon Doc. You know what I mean. It's a great place to spend time sitting on bikes and I stated you'll spend way too much money. Notice I didn't say Chap. OTD Cyclesports is good times too. Montclair Yamaha is fine if you have a hook up (lookin at you Doc) but the selection is minimal. For those of us not sponsored, get buddy buddy with finance guys at Bert's and you too can walk out of there with bikes for invoice + 100. :cool:
    In all kinds of new ways... but damn they're nice lookin. Develop your own craziness-hotness scale and find the ones that best meets the balance.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  12. caferace

caferace No.

Hmmm. I'm a native Californian with a soon-to-be Ohio-an ex-wife. Most of the women here aren't from "here". The ones that are seem to be relatively normal. :eek:

-jim

13. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

bring a gas mask cause la smog sucks hermosa beach is awesome and there a ton of hot women....all of them are fuckin nuts or dating a 60 year old plastic surgeon....but dont worry they arent faithful....you will probably be in rehab after being here for 60 days since your partying will quadruple atleast and if you do have a chick get sunglasses that have black lenses.....berts sucks btw.

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

also In-n-Out sucks a bag of donkey dicks for serious. fuck that novelty shit for tourists.

Hermosa is cool. depends on how far back you are from the water as to just how cool. its still cool tho. there's some classic car/bike resto place on Rt. 1 in Hermosa. they always have sweet ass BSAs and Nortons in the window.

also Topanga Canyon Road is my favorite of all the "Malibu to the Valley" canyon roads. there's like 5 or so good ones. you could sit out there all night ripping if you felt so inclined to fill your weekend nights that way.

Westminster for good ass dim sum. Daikokuya in Japantown for the best ramen ever. good sushi joints and mexican joints everywhere. the further you are from Hollywood and Laguna/Newport beaches on the daily, the more chances you have of meeting "normal" chicks and not lunatic idiots, although there's decent nightlife in the first, and cool day time stuff in the later to do.

get into mountain biking out there. so many awesome places to do that. venice is cool too as well as santa monica for chillin. i like manhattan beach, its quiet. driving up to Palos Verdes is cool too.

15. caferace

caferace No.

I've found (and my sincere apologies to one of the few normal SoCal women here, if there are any) that most of the women there are 99.8% about themselves, you as a BF or whatever are just an accessory, unless you're filthy rich. Then they're just in the 98% range... :D

-jim

16. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I dunno, I've lived and worked in Manhattan, and Hermosa since the mid 60's..There are all kinds of people around, as in any other place.

I can tell you from experience there are some whacked out old ladies that will talk your ear off..

Lots to do around the so. bay..Also, watch out for the Morons that run red lights..Wait before you go on the green light.

If you need info. in regards to things like auto repairs ect..pm me

Welcome to the left coast..:D

17. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

not a bad place to live... <grin>

18. Chris13

I do have a road bicycle that I race (criteriums and time trials). Is there any place to ride that, at speed, not leisure rides with out getting ran over?

19. th3_d0c

th3_d0c Well-Known Member

I live in Santa Monica and my rides are usually up through Malibu past Pepperdine Univ toward Zuma Beach, good 35ish mile ride. Or I ride up through Topanga Canyon(on the way through Malibu), AWESOME hill climbs. Most people will not hit you, some are idiots and don't share the road. Just keep your eyes open.
    BUT, you can get a ticket on your bicycle for:
    Wearing head phones in both ears(as you can on a motorcycle or in a car).
    Using your phone while biking(same with motorbike and car)
    Speeding! There are speed limits in the Hermosa/Manhattan area on the bike paths, OBEY THEM!
    The bike paths are neat, they start that the very north end of Santa Monica and go until like at least Redondo, all along the beach, great ride, but if you want to go fast, watch out for people walking on the "bikes only" road. Used to do a quick 10 mile round trip from Venice to the end of the bike path, would take me like 30 minutes during the week, weekends... good luck.

They have a Velodrome from the 19?? Olympics still in Hollywood, they used to do classes there(my boss tells me so), never been, so I don't know any more about that.

If you use google maps, you can plot a course with it, and choose "bike" and it will show you the bike route for it. Neat features are available with google maps out here, traffic updates, street view is awesome.

20. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

My neighbor goes to a velodrome somewhere in the San Fernando Valley ... could be Encino, I think.

One of the big advantages to So Cal is that the weather is usually very good and the choice of trackdays are practically endless. With 4 tracks within 2 hours of you, there is always a trackday to attend (or so it seems). Take a look at this website to find local trackday schedules in SoCal:

www.biketweakers.com

Welcome to California ... I can't imagine living anywhere else, myself!